Skip navigation

Picked up a 1975 Mk1

Back to the top

Picked up a 1975 Mk1

Cant believe my luck!!

I never thought i'd find one this old ever, expecially in the condition it is in and on top of that i paid 99p for the front seats off Ebay and ended up taking the full car for free as the guy was going to scrap it!!

It is a small back light, should it not be a Swallow Tail at '75? Also i didn't know you could get a '75 in RHD?

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1996 Mk3 Cab VR6 Turbo Project

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Mk1 & 16v Golf's Breaking for spares

Back to the top
YOU JAMMY **********!!!
Well done. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
Must admit, i've been smiling since i picked it up.

The guy thought it was a '76, it wasn't until i filled out the Registration Documents i realised it was a '75.

I am short the front Chrome window surround though but i have everything else to restore it.

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top
Looks like a cheap Mk1!  :D

You can only tell the age from the VIN (third digit), as it is difficult to age a car that may have had many panels changed during its life.

However, the car does not look like an original '75 to me for the following reasons:
- incorrect front panel (all pre-'79 with small bumpers do not have a towing eye, pre-'77 have a different construction to the middle vertical structures behind the grille)
- incorrect rear panel (all '75s have a swallowtail which ended during the '76 model year)
- incorrect front bonnet (all '75s do not have a front swage line which was introduced during the '76 model year)

A few other points that I can't see for sure from your pics:
- incorrect doors and door posts (all pre-'77 have different hinges and small door locks)
- incorrect inner wings (all pre-'77 have a different form in the front of the pressing)
- incorrect door sills (all pre-'77 have a thin swage line down the bottom)

That is just sheet metal parts, there must be at least a  hundred differences between the '75, '76 and '77 model years when trim, electrical, engine, suspension, etc. are accounted for.

If it is a true '75 from the VIN then it is a pity it does not look very original from those pics, but at least another one saved!

Banner

Back to the top
Thats the kind of information i was after.

The vin match's the Reg doc, and the car is on an N plate.  It was registered on the 1st April 1975.

The rear panel has been changed at some point as the spot welds dont look as clean as they should do.

It has had extensive work at some point in its life, by the looks of the inner wings as they look like they have been replaced, but to a very high standard.

Must admit, i knew there were differencess with the doors, posts etc and it does look very good for its age.

I will have a good look tonight.

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top
Who cares!! for 99p overall purchase price you can't go wrong - you lucky, lucky man!!

Andy

LINCOLNSHIRE REGION - https://www.facebook.com/groups/467122313360002/

1983 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign Model - Under (looooong) resto!
1962 Rover P4 80
2002 BMW 745i
2008 BMW Z4 2.5Si

Back to the top
I got mine for 450 quid and now I feel ripped off!!!  :lol:

No only kidding - whatever it turns out to be it's all good :y:

Back to the top
Well done!  :wink:
By the way if you still need the windscreen chrome trim, they're still on ebay for ?33 all-in if you can't find it cheaper elsewhere:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9889&item=4565817179&rd=1

Back to the top
Only prob is, the windscreen rubber is a later one, without the bead that the Chrome runs in.

Can you buy the rubbers?

1982 Mk1 GTI 16v Mars

1978 Mk1 GTI 1.6 Mars

1975 Mk1 LS

1998 6n Polo Black

1984 UR Quattro Red

1961 Lotus Elite Silver

Back to the top
Well done mate that is a bargain :lol:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Yeah there's been a lot of grooved ones lately (think this comes with the chrome trim already in by the sound of it) :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9889&item=4565895869&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If not, try :

http://shop.volkswarenhaus.de/oxid.php/sid/4cce55e2c06a1062d9377aac5eca0503/cl/search/pgNr/8/cnid/-/sSearchParam/golf%201

They work out about ?17 plus p&p depending on weight
Good luck!

Back to the top
Nice car and already half restored . Lucky bugger . Window seals  (plain and grooved) and new door seals are available from status vw here in blighty , they advertise in the aircooled mags . They also do most of the chrome trims .

Racing is life . Anything before or after is just waiting - Steve McQueen

Back to the top
jammy sod! nice colour too

Back to the top
Nice one mate nice car by the looks of things luvin the colour.
Windscreen rubbers no longer available with groove in (i got the last original) dont forget the chrome clips which click onto the trim aswell and good luck.Would like to see the end result  :lol:

Back to the top
Is that a nodding dog I see in the back of your Mk1, Dub?

If so, I take back all my comments about your car being cool!!!!  :lol:

Back to the top
Got my chrome surround from VW maistealer and it cost ?22.00 a side (but only needed to use 1 length in the end) and the clips were pretty cheap as well.

Try VW…you never know!!

Dan

Back to the top
:D Yes its a nodding dog just to take P*ss really as its looks like old folks car but doesnt smell like one.
Vw maistealer never heard of em ,think clips are now obsolete from dealer. :roll:

Back to the top
Dub

Is that an orignall Colour

It looks Mint Mate :wink:

Diesel Possessed

A97JCE

Feeby

Back to the top
Don't know if the Mk1 and 2's are the same re the window surround but the codes for mine were…

surround..255853305
clips………171853339A

May help  :dontknow:

Dan

Back to the top
That's older than me  8O

2 1983 Campains (concours & track)
1985 Blue GTi Ragtop
2001 Bora Estate TDi SE (very very rare)
2000 Golf TDI commuter
2005 T5 Transporter with 394000 miles on it!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.