Skip navigation

I need some 1981 GTI info please!

Back to the top

I need some 1981 GTI info please!

Hi,

Can someone in the know please clarify for me that the GTI's up to 1981 were ONLY 1.6? I've seen one for sale thats a 1981 model X reg with a 1.8 engine. It's a UK model. Also it's black, but with red striped seats…I thought the only option with black paint was the grey striped ones?

Back to the top
Not sure about the engine size availability for the '81 GTI but have been told the seat colour was optional from the dealer, so if you wanted red stripped seats you could

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
As far as I am aware the seat colours were set with the external colour. No problem with a 1.6 on an X reg, some y reg cars had the 1.6. The 1.8 was only introduced form August 1982.

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
:starwars: Optional…Set… Optional… Who's the daddy  :notworthy:

8)

I stand corrected, would have thought if you asked for red seats though they would have supplied them  :dontknow:

'82 Black 1600 GTI - Getting Better

Back to the top
hi
i think it`s posible that it`s original 1,8 from `81 if it`s produced in late months of 81,about seets could be ok too,you could choose if you was buying new mk-1,so if you wanted grey-you have grey.

all the best !
Cheers………

Remember, VW made the last car in 1992. After that they started making vehicles.

Back to the top
Non standard engine and seats IMO :?

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D

Back to the top
The 1.8 engine was introduced from August 1982, so if the car has a "D" (1983 Model Year) as the 10th digit in the VIN it is possible to be the original engine.

In the UK, the seat trim colour was fixed by the external colour (black with grey seats). On the continent there was some choice but with restrictions (e.g. no red seats with Lhasa Green). So either the car is a personal import or someone replaced the seats at some time.

Cheers
Rajan

Banner

Back to the top
As far as I am aware, the GTI 1.8 was introduced late '82 (as already stated), the carb 1.8 in '84…..

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
Very likely that the seats have been changed due to worn bolsters. Only red cars had red stripes, although there has been some debate if some white cars left the factory with red stripe seats too. Personally I think not, but you do see a few and (IMO) the red stripe seats look great in white cars (!)
Mark.

Back to the top
Thanks for that everyone!
It was one for sale on ebay so I couldn't see much detail (the photos practically blanked out things like the GTI badge etc) It just seemed not quite right. It must have been either a 1.6 GTI and it's had a 1.8 put in, or it started life off as a non-GTI model and has had GTI trim fitted and a GTI engine! (like red seats from a red GTI) steering wheel etc and they're therefore calling it a GTI. A past winning bidder has obviously found something out because it's back up for sale again! Oh dear!  :?

Back to the top
 m6m62 wrote
the red stripe seats look great in white cars

They do in mine :D , think silver/black in white look a bit drab. As dubboy mentions you could specify different seat colours in the rest of Europe in a GTI. This euro brochure show a mars red GTI with silver/black seats and the rear seatbelt retaining clips.

So either the seats aren't original or they are and the cars an impprt of some sort - mine is declared on the V5 as a personal import.

Diesel dubber - do you have a link? Have come across quite a few 1600's which have had an 1800 put in them, often seen to see a few on E-bay. Most likley original engine went pop and its easier to source a good 2nd hand 1800 unit then 1600.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C

Back to the top
Yeah, as I said it's been relisted after being won for ?750, but there could be a genuine reason for it!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=9873&item=4563804298&rd=1

Back to the top
May have been messed about by the previous winning bidder? Could have been personal import hence red seats, also has red stripe round the dash? Imported GTIs usually have little black rear seat belt clips beneath rear corner of rear window, don't think these were fitted to UK models.

Looks like it has a non-standard glass sunroof in one of the photos? If so that would put me off buying as a long term proposition.

Cheers

1981 1600 GTI (coming to a road near you soon…)

1983 1100 C
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.