Skip navigation

diesel mk1 1983

Back to the top

diesel mk1 1983

I'm thinking of having a look at an 83 diesel 1.6. WHat is the MPG on this? I do about 35 miles a day, so I need something economical. It's a five door in gold, not too much rust. I like the quirkyness of it, and I'm not bothered about speed. Worth a look or go for something later?

Your thoughts pleae

Back to the top
83 is the latest mk1 you can get, anything half decent is worth a look, if you dont like it just turn around but go and check it out!

i live to dub....

Back to the top
I can highly recommend them as daily drivers for reliability and high mpg and they pull well with plenty of pull from the bottom end, revs-wise. The factory fitted 5 speed economy gearbox is excellent but quite a rare find. I can honestly say that mine has achieved 65-70mpg on longish runs (I used to go 17 miles each way to work every day) depending on conditions. I even find if I get a move on and thrash it more I still get plenty to the gallon, so if you'll be 'tootling' to work and back every day at 40-60mph I'm sure you won't be spending much on diesel at all! Apparently they run well on veg oil too! Hopefully this gold one has been looked after, but even if it's had a rough life it'll still go well with a bit of tlc. Good luck! :wink:

Back to the top
yep I'd totally recommend one too, its what I had 'till I swapped the engine for a turbo diesel, 60 - 70mpg should be easy and theres really not that much to go wrong, should be a sweet daily driver :mrgreen:  8)

black 5 door mk1 GTD

mk1 scirocco Gli in bits

Back to the top
GO for it,mine is ace too,runs on the sniff,ive done a mk1vdub thing and i am in the process of going turbo diesel  :wink:
The 1.6 is a good lump,cooking oil is 43p per liter too  8)
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
yep you cant go far wrong with a mk1 diesel 50-60 mpg in mine but it is only the 4 speed box

Back to the top
theres a bronze gl in scarborough on autotrader with a full ticket on it for ?450 (blokes a bell and will take a lot less i reckon), done 113,000 and looks straight enough, them gls seem to ignore rust better than others! tis 4 speed tho but not end of world

Back to the top
'blokes a bell'
what does that mean tommo  :wink:
Bert

Thats not a rod knockin,its a diesel stupid! floppy top and 1 tin top

Back to the top
I backed out of the Gold MK1 Diesel, mainly cos the Mrs didn't fancy it…it was in preston for 450, advertised on autotrader. Wish I'd gone for a look, becaus e the guy seemed to have done quite a bit of work on it, and it had low miles, maybe 120k but getting married next week and didn't really have the time. Also, I really like having the 5th gear, just for comfort on the motorway.

WOnder if whoever bought it will come on here?

So, I'm selling out and going to look at a '96 diesel Golf…..that's a MK3 if i'm not mistaken?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.