Skip navigation

4000 mile service advice?

Back to the top

4000 mile service advice?

Hello everyone,

I'm new here, and new to MK1s since buying an 87 Cabriolet LHD last month…

I have a general question regarding servicing as French/ Monegasque mechanics can be a little, shall we say, 'obtuse' when it comes to these things (quite apart from playing fast and loose with their calculators). I don't particularly feel like sending her in to VW Monte-Carlo for 'the works' (no, we aren't all millionaires in Monaco) and would like your advice on what I should have 'done' in terms of giving the car a good going over. The vehicular equivalent of one of those so-called 'spa days', if you will.

Some background info: it's an LHD MK1 Golf Cabriolet that has had the upgrade to 148 BHP and was last used (and serviced) two years ago at 133000 miles. We have somehow added a further 4000 miles to that count since we bought it. What would you recommend I have done please? What needs checking? What needs replacing? What do I say a firm 'non, mon amie!' to?!

As you have probably already established, I am not mechanically minded. My abysmal French also means that the simpler the advice, the better! That said any thoughts would be more than appreciated, so thank you very much everyone for reading this and having a think. I really appreciate it  :D

1987 MK1 Cabriolet

Back to the top
If its new to you, then its worth looking at additional things over the 'normal' service schedule, especially if you don't have the details of what was done 2 years/4000 miles ago.

So:

Engine oil
Oil filter
Air filter
Fuel filter
Spark plugs
Lubricate hinges
Check brakes for wear (on discs and pads front, and drums/shoes rear)
Change brake fluid
Check/change coolant
Top up washer bottle
Check tyres
Check suspension and steering joints and rubber seals, including CVJ boots for splits, deterioration, etc
Check security of exhaust
Check condition of cambelt, if in doubt replace it (not expensive)

There's probably a few more things to check and top up too, that I've missed.

Back to the top
Hi Paul,

What a list  :lol: . Thank you so so much for taking the time to compile it. All I need to do now is translate it and find a suitable mechanic. Thanks so much again.

Jamie

1987 MK1 Cabriolet
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.