Skip navigation

306 rallye to mk1 GTI!!

Back to the top

306 rallye to mk1 GTI!!

Just introduced myself on the 'new folks' area of the forum where I briefly described my situation.

Am I mad to sell my lovely 306 rallye to get a mk1 golf?! I owned a great mk2 1991 8v for 3 years before I got the rallye and loved it, however, the rallye really was a step forward dynamically. The handling, brakes, engine etc are so good.

I just love the idea of owning a classic mk1, but it will have to be in great condition. I realise this will cost a bit but is it unrealistic to expect to find a mk1 that still feels tight (guess I am looking at something that has been restored)?

Thanks

Back to the top
Hmmm… Well the Mk1 will be a big step backward in terms of engine and brakes  :lol: not to mention rust! The handling is still pretty sweet though, and if you like the idea of owning something rarer, then it could be for you.

If you've got a few grand to spend then you should be able to find something in good nick - if you have a hunt round the forum the general advice is look at as many as possible, and don't be fooled by a good paint job that hides loads of imperfections underneath.

If you've got the space, then you could buy a cheap one (maybe 300 - 500 quid) to restore yourself in addition to running your Pug. You'll still probably end up spending a few grand overall! But you'll have a good laugh restoring it, and you'll know it inside out so if anything goes wrong you can fix it yourself.

Back to the top
Thanks for the advice. It def seems like a good idea to see as many as possible due to the varying stds you have hinted at.

Might pop down to Wagen Wheels (I think) to get a feel for what I might get for my money. However, I intend to buy privately unless I spot one for a particularly good price from a dealer.

Would love to run one along with my pug, but its one or the other unfortunately. Although the idea of restoring a mk1 myself does appeal.

Thanks

Back to the top
Welcome aboard!

You can use a Mk1 day to day, but it is a bit of a culture shock to be honest, if you are used to more modern cars.

The mk1 was designed for a world largely without motorways and is not at its best on a 3 lane highway. It's an A road and B road car.

That said it is quick, tidy and pretty accomodating generally.

They are all approaching 25-30 years old though, which is a pretty long in the tooth for any car. Condition is everything for these cars.

Cheers,

Drew.

Once a Mk1 fan, always a Mk1 Fan...

Back to the top
if your wondering about the performance my golf is a standard 1.8 gti only mod is air box. remember racing a 306 gti six ages ago (is that similar performance to yours) any way i had the edge to 120 then he edged in front so similar sort of performance from a standard. if your lookin for one just look at the mods you can carry out i'm sure many of the members here have a lot quicker ones!

Back to the top
Hi Griggs

I also have a pug (lowley 106) and have owned a mk2 gti. The Mk1 will be a step further back in time from even the mk2 with regard to safety / brakes - as Drew says a culture shock & will not be as quick as your rallye although it can still keep up with many modern hatches (133bhp per tonn). My pug is an N reg but I still think my old VW has better build integrity - the french car is just plain shabby for its age (no disrespect to yours). As for old hot hatch thrills I think they are unbeaten if modified although many on here keep them standard  :oops:

My advice is try to go in a standard vs modded one if poss. Finding a good one could be tricky - get the brakes sorted and also budget for replacing the susp bushes / dampers (& have a reserve pot!) - I think there is a buyers guide on here somewhere. I love my Mk1 more than any car ive owned & gives more hot hatch thrills than my old cars did (Mk2, VR, S3). Good luck mate.

Back to the top

French or german?

I sold my Pug106 to fund a MK1 cabby, the best move yet. More street cred, more fun, more braking distance! Cheaper insurance, etc etc. Sell it and join the club, you know it makes sense. you wont regret it.  :lol:

86 Christmas Collection Cabby GTi in Saphire Blau!

Back to the top
Thanks for your comments. Mark 1 and others, I agree with your experience regarding build quality etc. My pug is better in this respect than some (pugs) but if I were to find a good non-rattler (something that bugs me) I am sure that, despite its age, it would feel at least as well bolted together as my pug.

I would not mind the fact it would not be quite as good on the motorway. Like you guys say, the fun is to be had on the smaller a and b roads.

I have alreaddy noticed several lovingly looked after examples in the for sale adds going back a couple of months. I personally will buy a std mk1 that is in top condtion, or as good as I can afford (I guess I have ?4500 tied up in the rallye). It seems 3k should be enough for a good one??

I would be tempted to improve the brakes certainly. Cosmetically I would def keep the std look (particularly like the look of the campaigns). It seems there is a lot that can be done to the engine. The idea of putting a 1.8t in a mk1 is rather interesting, but pricey I guess!!!

Thanks for all your input so far

Back to the top

Griggs said

It seems 3k should be enough for a good one??
For 3k, you'd be able to get one in *top* condition, probably with a resent respray and good history. 8)

I bought mine for 1500 and, concidering it's 22 years old, i'd honestly say it's in average condition. Most MK1s that are advertised around 2.5K and above are generally ones that are in good-excellent condition. But beware, because there are many that are hiding rust!

One of the forum members, ManicGTI, bought a red mk1 off the forum from another member. It was freshly resprayed in good condition…. He got it for 900!!

Take your time to find one and with a 3k budget - be fussy!!!

I hope you find what you're after :)

Back to the top
?3000 is a good budget to go shopping with as that's what I went out with. I' m very happy with my mk1 and even had a little change.

Be fussy and look at as many examples as possible. A good idea would be to attend a regional meet and cheek out what others are driving. Maybe you could ask a club member near you to help you shop? :dontknow:

I used to own a mk1 - well I've had 2 actually - YDU 720X & SMU 420Y. Currently I drive an 98 Scotia White Mitsubishi Evolution V RS…. fancy getting another mk1 someday :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.