Skip navigation

1979 SMALL LAMP ON EBAY

Back to the top

1979 SMALL LAMP ON EBAY

OK OK before you start……..

I have already read the posts on this forum the last time the car was on ebay, and i saw them before i bought it.

I bought this car, in august and have had just over two months driving a car i have always wanted to own. I have enjoyed every minute of it too. I know you all say, it hasn't got its original seats, engine, gearbox, wheels etc and the front grill is slightly dropped, but this car is no dog.

Yes it needs all of the above, but whats the fun in buying a mint gti, that you can only polish up every sunday? In hindsight, that is what i should have bought, as my mechanical knowledge is fairly poor. I recently nearly bought some original mint seats, which were for sale in a local garage for ?200, and i maybe should have.

Also, the reason i am selling it is, my girlfriend and i have 3 cars between us, and are just about to move house, so this will be going towards the deposit!

If anyone wants to come and view the car, its in Darlington, County Durham.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4587064325&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1
Cheers

Adam

Back to the top
It seems a strange thing to do, to restore the bodywork of a series 1 GTI then rebuild it with what at first sight looks like "standard", but in fact are wrong parts or decisions. For example, the wheels are from a later model; the interior is wrong; the door cards have been cut and speakers fitted, but in a position which doesn't give so much room for the back of the speaker and also prevents the window winders being refitted! Why change a working speedo for another working one, with a different mileage? Why purchase an engine for ?700 then spend ?1500 on it? etc

With the finishing items required, I'd say its 90% restored, but you're really losing out on the top value of the car, because of the incorrect wheels/engine/interior. I also remember the ribbing the car got last time it was up for sale, on the forum. Perhaps this car is spooked? So, its going to make a bargain for someone else to buy it and finish it off absolutely correctly. I might even buy it myself!

Back to the top
Cheers for replying,

I think the reason he changed the speedo, was because he liked the look of the "cone style" variant.

The rest, i can't really understand but, i think we all know the hard work on this car is done, and the rest would be enjoyable and probably make you money in the long term.

What would you value the car at mate?

Cheers

Adam

Back to the top
I forgot to ask, what's the gearknob like, and does it have a decent parcel shelf too? And, just as well the bumpers aren't chrome!

Back to the top
its got a golf ball gear knob, the parcel shelf is suspect to say the least, but i have seen a mint parcel shelf go on ebay for ?25 this week, i really should have bought it.

Back to the top
Its only my opinion and I can only go on the pics, and I know pics can hide small bodywork imperfections…..?2500??? You also have to bear in mind, its winter time so its a tougher time to sell a car which might well end up being a 'summertime' 2nd car for someone (looks like it was for you too!); and the wheels/interior really jar, with the knowledgable series 1 buyer.

Back to the top
If you, or anyone for that matter, wants to make me an offer, email me on the address on profile. I will be happy to end auction on ebay early and therefore not have to pay fees etc.

Back to the top
*cough* overspray *cough*

:lol:

I remember it getting ripped on the forum a while back…still a smart mk1 tho'

:dontknow:

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top
I'll not be buying it, although I will be watching the progress of the eBay auction with interest. Just my personal preference, but I prefer black, and the series 2's looks (even though series 1s are said to be more cool (its not about what others think, its about what really matters - what the car is like!)) And I already have one of them, as a plaything, in addition to 2 other desirable cars. Its possible with care, that someone could make money by buying it now, bringing it back to original condition and selling it in the spring/summer. But my money's safely in a Halifax bank account!

Back to the top
overspray? can you tell me where, i have never noticed it in the time i have owned it!

Back to the top

shawrio said

overspray? can you tell me where

3rd pic down ar' kid  :wink:

1272 driver with a magic tree!!

Back to the top

Try taking off the trim, then a good rub with turps, then Autoglym bumper care!

Back to the top
thats actually polish, and its not on there now.

the car has been diamonbrited since i bought it too, forgot to say.

Back to the top
thanks for the advice paul, but i own a valeting firm, and the car is absolutly mint outside and in now. Would have taken my own pictures but i have lost my digital camera.

Back to the top
In the words of Whitney Houston (yuk) 'It's not right, but it's OK'
Needs some sorting, but as for overspray ?  Have a look at your window seals peeps !
I'd have it if cheap (but then I am very tight with the cash). Would be straight in for front panel removed and rewelded higher up. And I do have a tartan interior in the garage  :mrgreen:
I'll watch the auction …………..
Good luck with it,
Mark.

Back to the top
shawrio - You have PM

Banner

Back to the top
Did it sell? Decent price? I notice the eBay listing has been removed, are 'dark forces' at hand here?????

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.