Skip navigation

mki 1800 gti cab keeps stalling please help

Back to the top

mki 1800 gti cab keeps stalling please help

hi i am having a problem whith my cab when sitting in traffic car stalls when i pull away then splutters once i gett moving it seems to clear! i am thinking it must be a fuel pump problem but was wandering if anyone has an idea what might be causing this problem? i have fitted a new fuel filter under bonnet.i do not know how to test the pump seems to buzzibg very loudly!

welcome any help

cheers Paul

Back to the top
Im having the same problem with mine, cuts out in traffic jams/at lights and needs a good clear run to stop the Kangarooing (Very embarrasing!) Trying to look cool in a cab whilst bumbing up the road!

Mines in at the garage on wed to get checked out, im thinking fuel issues at the mo but il let you know when/if i get any reports of what they think

Iain

Back to the top
sounds as though we have the same problem we bought mk1 golfs lol let me know how you get on if i find a solution i will let you know regards Paul

Back to the top
I was having a think last night over a beer with my friendly mechanic mate, we came up with this possibility…

He owns an Honda S2000, (very similar engine to ours!)he had the problem with a heat build up around the engine and solved it with a snorkle!

the basics…when sat a still in the car, the heat builds around the engine obviously, this warm air sucked into the engine mixes with the fuel and changes the mixture. So, i think my car was running rich anyway and with the added low density hot air, causes the car to give up unless it cools slightly or you manage to drive it fast enough to get a staedy flow of air in to the engine.

I think i am going to have my carb adjusted and sort out some of the tuning issues…and drive around with no bonnet!!! She'll never overheat then!

Il keep you posted on what the so called 'experts' say.

Anyone got any more ideas or am i talking bollocks??

Iain

One HOT cab…literally :oops:

Back to the top
Has your Cab got a tank lift pump (GTI '85/6 on)?
My GTI did exactly the same….turned out to be a clogged lift pump filter…..went a dream after doing this……

Remove plate (under rear seat)….

Remove hoses and rotate the sender unit….(use a wooden drift)…

Mine was like this….

How it should be….

Check / replace the 'O' ring when putting it back together….

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
Are the clipper 1.8 carbs supposed to have this?  I had mine apart the other week, and my sender unit is just the two pipes that go down into the fuel !!!

Could that be my kangarooing problem?

Back to the top
thanks i will try it the weekend she is in having a new roof at the minute i get her back dry (i hope) friday, bloody rain!

paul  8)

Back to the top

mawwam said

Are the clipper 1.8 carbs supposed to have this?  I had mine apart the other week, and my sender unit is just the two pipes that go down into the fuel !!!

Could that be my kangarooing problem?

…no, only GTI's after '85/6 or thereabouts ….

Owning a Mk1 cabby is a vertical learning curve…

1989 Mk1 Clipper 1.8 automatic - Sadly now up for sale - medical issues dictate)

1999 (Nov) Passat S Saloon 1.9 TDI (AFN) - TUG 1 (Remap by CCC ( - **** …..change pants !!) with cruise control

2000 (Mar) Passat Sport Estate 1.9 TDI (ATJ) 5 speed automatic with Tiptronic - TUG 2 (Remap and cruise control by CCC)

Back to the top
Ta for that prowler, just set up a flood light and took mine apart, bit annoyed though as it was sqweaky clean! Thought that might of been my problem but obviously not…
The hunt goes on

Back to the top

Prowler said

…no, only GTI's after '85/6 or thereabouts ….

Ok mate, thanks for info
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.