Skip navigation

cabriolet clipper 1991 cutting out

Back to the top

cabriolet clipper 1991 cutting out

hi,  to start with i changed my filler neck due to rust. now i have the problem of cutting out when on the move. i have changed the fuel filter, the fuel pump( mechanical) looks new. i have changed the rubber pipes under the bonnet. the only way i could get the car to run was to bypass the reservoir completely( thus having no return to my tank, just a staight feed to the carb). thinking i had a dodgy reservoir, i replced it. and now i'm back to square 1, because it's cutting out again. could it be a blocked return pipe? pump not efficent for the reservoir in line? by the way what does the resevoir do? the car has new plugs, ignition coil, cap and arm to eliminate electrical problem.

Back to the top
does it restart after a few minutes of cutting out? if it does it could be a weak pump/starvation or i have had in the past a blocked tank filter, if you open the black inspection hatch under the rear seat (dont smoke!) you can lift the float etc out, there is a little white filter "sock" in there and they can block up and cause this symptom, you can clean it or replace them, that might help/cure it?

92 Sportline in Flash Red, Standard **SOLD**

91 G60 Corrado in Aqua Blue pearl

91 Rallye Golf, Tornado Red, AMD tuned to 220bhp 227 flb torque 9j x16 Borbet B alloys

1985 B Alpine white mk2 Golf Gti

Back to the top

thanks

hi, thankyou for your response, i checked the tank filter and it was blocked, however the car is still cutting out. yet again it rins on and on if i by pass the reservoir. i have now ordered a new pump, i can not think of any thing else. p.s i have blown out the supply and return pipie as well. i will keep you posted. yet again thanks for you help

Back to the top
dont know if this will help you but i recently changed my fuel filter with a copy part from gsf 4 miles down the road it cut out and wouldnt start what it had done on mine was blow the fuse to the fuel pump, put back on the old filter and hey presto right as rain. copy parts whod have em
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.