Skip navigation

Speedo trouble - 1990 Clipper Cabrio

Back to the top

Speedo trouble - 1990 Clipper Cabrio

Alrite guys,

First time using the site and already asking for help.  I've got a lovely Helius Blue 1990 G plate Clipper Cabrio, bought it 2 months or so ago and want it to be in tip top condition.  There are a few things that need sorting but this is the first thing that needs doing…

My speedo's stopped working (needle doesn't move and the miles have stopped going round) but rev counter, clock, temp and fuel guage work fine.  

Can anyone help me with some tips to fix it or am I better going to a scrappy for a used one?  If so what do I do about the miles on the clock?  Is this easily changed to make it right?

I've also got problems with the LEDs in the instrument panel, the ones for the indicator / headlights etc work fine but none of the instruments light up.  

Any ideas much appreciated.javascript:emoticon(':dontknow:')

Cheers

Back to the top
The speedo is basicly three parts . The head , the cable and the plastic drive in the gear box . What you do is first replace the plastic drive pinion [cheap] and see what happens , if still the same change the cable [?35.00] . Lastly you will then know its the head and thats the bad bit as VW want ?120.00 + for a new one .

Panel lights check the headlight switch dimmer [its above the light switch] it may be off ?

Cheers ………

Back to the top
Your speedo cable may just have fallen out of the back of the dial, happened to me a few weeks ago. You can just about reach it if you dive into the footwell and shove your arm up behind the dash.

Back to the top
Cheers Chudd, it was just the dimmer for the interior lights.  I wondered what that did!

Still haven't got the speedo fixed, the cable feels like it's in at the back so I'm gonna have to have a bit more of a dig around.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.