Skip navigation

mk1 golf 1800 gti '82 starts and dies

Back to the top

mk1 golf 1800 gti '82 starts and dies

having problems, will start and run but after 50 seconds cuts out and dies, will start up again only to do the same thing. if left for say 3 minutes it will drive/tick over for a little longer.
what could cause this?checked the coil and the tci-h on my mates car and they are fine. :dontknow:

Back to the top
Are you sure this fault isn't fuel related?

89 Clipper Cab 20v (97% done!)
97 Peugeot Expert (daily, £510 off of ebay!)
06 Audi A3 (Wifes daily)

Back to the top

Jeevesraf said

Are you sure this fault isn't fuel related?
may well be, i have just put a new fuel tank, pump,accumulator, injectors, metering head and fuel lines in. so i do hope not.
however i removed the module and the coil, tried them on my mate car and they were fine, have put them back on my car and it runs fine now, just need take it for a run as it may still break down under load.

Back to the top
Sounds like a dodgey connection somewhere then, just go round and check all the spade connectors and stuff for corrosion and poor electrical connection.

89 Clipper Cab 20v (97% done!)
97 Peugeot Expert (daily, £510 off of ebay!)
06 Audi A3 (Wifes daily)

Back to the top
fuel pump relay?, it primes when you turn the ignition on but does the pump continue running once the engine is started?

Back to the top

bugfez said

fuel pump relay?, it primes when you turn the ignition on but does the pump continue running once the engine is started?
defo not the relay, fuel pump seems to prime after its cut out. mine has never primed on ignition.

some do some don't.

Back to the top
try cleaning/ drying  out the hall sender unit attatched on the side of the dizzy

Mk1 2l TSR G60.  .getting. There twice as fast

Mk1 lhd diesel…….getting. There for half the cost

Back to the top
ok just taken it for a drive around the block, was ok on the first 2 laps, on the third started to splutter and on the home straight died, started up again and drove the rest of the way home, but it progressively loses revs??
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.