Skip navigation

MK1 1.8 GTI CABRIO 1985

Back to the top

MK1 1.8 GTI CABRIO 1985

Hi,

I've been going the round the houses a bit on this one but does anyone know whether need 65A or 90A for the above model. AlanDay according to engine number DX thinks it should be 90A. No electric windows or doors etc, only powering engine / lights / radio etc…

Many thanks

Ben

Back to the top
alternator? Battery?

i have a mk2 alternator on mine 90Ah i think - and an RAC Battery without any numbers on.

Back to the top
45A, 55A, or 65A is enough. By all means upgrade to a 90A alternator if you like, but there isn't really the electrical equipment on the Mk1 Golf to need it that big…..it aint no Jaguar!

Back to the top
but if its a fiver and its available on a sunday evening when yours has died and you are in york and should be at uni in lincoln the following morning it'll do :D

Back to the top
Also with a 90A you can have a theoretical 1KW of in-car entertainment :)

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top

Madferret said

Also with a 90A you can have a theoretical 1KW of in-car entertainment :)

i dont kno how big a KW is… but it does remind me i need to sort and refit my stereo all wiring from scratch… jsut cba to do it. would rather just drive it as is…

Back to the top
1KW is 1000W

1W=Volts(12volts) x Amps (90) = 1080W

I say theoretical because practically you can go a lot higher than this, (without the battery draining completly) because music power isn't linear, of course you'd have to minus a bit for lights,a/c, heater blower and other such peripherials.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.