Skip navigation

2008 audio for 1981 GLS - any ideas?

Back to the top

2008 audio for 1981 GLS - any ideas?

In January, my standard GLS is going in for a mechanical overhaul and complete respray to original Inari Silver glory. In the 13 years I've owned it, I've never had any audio, but now I'd like to have radio, and be able to play my IPod through car speakers - no need for high spec speakers etc . Am not trying to restore to original, so not worried about getting 1981 style kit. I'll be having 2 new rear doors and 1 new front, plus a new passenger side wing, and will need new parcel shelf, so starting from scratch.

Have looked on here and on web, but choice a bit bewildering for non tech type. if anyone can reccommend makes or set ups that work for them, I'd be really grateful.

Cheers, spudlet

Back to the top
I HAVE A PROPER OLD SCHOOL PANASONIC HEADUNIT ITS BLACK WITH WHITE WRITING AND AN ORANGE LIT DISPLAY- IT LOOKS  LIKE I T CAME WITH THE CAR!! *stupid caps!*

its got 1 pre out (for sub/amp) and i use a cab speaker grille and have sacrificed a dash pocket to have 2 10cm component speakers mounted in them concealed by the grille thingy,i use a pair of JBL 6x4 speakers in the original space for them either side of the parcel shelf, coupled with a sub and amp (one unit) it sounds fab! i was told it was a lot of work to get a stock look sytem with decent sound but im more than chuffed with mine and im really fussy about how my music sounds and you can;t tell that theres anythign other than factory stuff hidden in my CL! :D

search scrappers or autojumbles for a cheap black headunit- it looks like it was meant to be there then and doesnt attract unwanted atention as a siney black or silver one would!

Please don't call me fella- its deeply insulting to one whom is no such thing! ;)

Back to the top
JBL has a good budget range. Mine has 2x3in in the front doors (replacing the standard) and 6x9in on the rear shelf. You want a decent make of head unit so you can use the built in amp.

As for the ipod dock, that depends really wether you want it fixed or non-fixed a 'nice' way would be to mount it on the centre console so that it'll just plug in. Another way would be to use a line-out to 1/8in jack plug and just have that lead hanging out wherever you need it, depend where you'd mount it. I'd go for something home-made over shop-bought as I haven't yet seen anything that I personally like.

If there's amything else feel free to ask :)

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
i didnt have any door speakers and i was not butchering my doorcards for anyone! :o

forgot you said about needing an IPOD thing. you can get a thingy you pug in the bottom of the pod that you can tune into your radio too! thatway you can shove the pod in the glovebox and it'l play away!

Please don't call me fella- its deeply insulting to one whom is no such thing! ;)

Back to the top
jbls and blaupunkt all the way from me.
(except the 2 ten inch subs in the boot :oops: )

Back to the top
I agree Novo, JBL's subs are a bit weak in my opinion and if your going for subs might as well get something with a punch :)

Don't get a tuner for the ipod they're not that good. Better with a proper lead and you can still route it to your glove box if you like that idea.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top
better advice is don't get a sodding ipoo.
dependant on how much you want keep the dash you could drill a hole at the back of the ash tray and have the lead come though into there. so you pull out the ashtray plug in the lead and put you mp3 play (note not ipoo) in the ashtray.

Back to the top
if your ashtrays anything like mine its got lots of little springs, fuses, small change, screws and random stuff i find under my seats! lol. its also got a swiss card in it and a load of old tax discs! no space for an mp3 in there!

Back to the top

novocaine said

better advice is don't get a sodding ipoo.
dependant on how much you want keep the dash you could drill a hole at the back of the ash tray and have the lead come though into there. so you pull out the ashtray plug in the lead and put you mp3 play (note not ipoo) in the ashtray.

Yeah, good idea that, you could even put a bit of a liner in it so it doesn't damage the player.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83

Back to the top

Lozmk1 said

if your ashtrays anything like mine its got lots of little springs, fuses, small change, screws and random stuff i find under my seats! lol. its also got a swiss card in it and a load of old tax discs! no space for an mp3 in there!

yep sounds like mine too. :D  i've even got an immobiliser key for a car i haven't had for 5-6 years in there.
it's like prince charles pocket in there. (you ever notice he always has his hand in there fiddling with something. i reckon he's got the door handle of a 1969 mg,some string and a button)

Back to the top
Go for an Alpine best sound quality for the budget buyer, try and get one with the quad colour or multi colour as you can mnake these match your OE lighting.

Dependant on budget jbl or infity in my opinion are good speaker, concentrate on the RMS figures.

Apline do offer a specific connection for the Apple Ipod;
http://www.alpine-electronics.co.uk/home/products/ipodr-solutions/

cheapest place i found was Hendon car Stereo / Audio.

Loving any chrome or carbon bits...

Back to the top

thanks for the help!

Brilliant really helpful, ta everybody.

The Alpine looks interesting. I'm prepared to evict the Mickey Mouse pendant that came with car, parking change and chewing gum from the ashtray in the interest of audio efficiency. I'm already Ipoo'd up, but they work fine for me, so I'll stick with 'em. ITrip gizmo to hear IPod via radio works great in the house, but not in partner's Golf MK3 - just too hard to tune it in - so won't go for that solution.

Back to the top
The proper ipod audio/video lead will set you back about ?20-?25 but gives you a video out, so if you ever want video in the future that'd be a bonus.

What I'd do, depending on your ipod model is simply mount an ipod dock with the lead connected inside the ashtray, fill the rest with sponge to suit, black or white, your choice and then you can always remove it, the only problem being is that someone could easily steal it. Depending on what model it is the springy back piece on the ashtray itself would make an excellent rear support.

~Madferret

Mk1 1457cc 5door GX '83
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.