Skip navigation

!990 automatic clipper cabriolet starting problems

Back to the top

!990 automatic clipper cabriolet starting problems

Hi guys
I've recently bought my first golf cabriolet (auto,8v,carb) and i'm having intermittent starting problems. I get all the lights on the dash but when i actually turn the key, nothing.. No turn over from engine. After calling the RAC (twice!) the car has fired up before they've got to me. Ive replaced the inhibitor switch under the gear selector and today a new starter. But got it home turned it off , it fired up twice straight away then nothing !!
Back to square one,all dash lights flashing, turning the key and nothing…( most annoying). Has anyone heard of these issues before ?? or is it just my bad luck ?? Im getting a new ignition switch tomorrow, this may cure it however I've no experience with these cars before having been an air-cooled owner for the last 15 years. I would really appreciate any advice or information that will me sort this once and for good.
many thanks

Back to the top
You should have joined the AA. But seriously it does sound like ignition switch which can burn at contacts and work intermitently. Try that 1st if not must be a wiring fault. Cheers Baz

Back to the top
Ive got a 91 1.8 auto cabby and had the same problem for the past 3 years lol. Well, it went away for a while but then I replaced a missing earth strap (body to hood) 2 weeks ago and its back again. Coincidence? :dontknow: Tapping the starter seems to get it started though…

With mine I can hear the relay under the dash click then a second click from the engine. Solenoid I guess?

I found these links about fixes anyway:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2593146

http://www.toplessrabb…viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1667

So could mine be a crapped out starter motor anyone reckon because of the second click from the solenoid?

Back to the top

starter fault

i would recomend u check the earth strap from gearbox to body
but it does sound like the starter motor has got worn bushes
best to take it out. get it overhauled or replace … if you get stuck give us a call

Back to the top
Make sure the car is in neutral / Park. with the brake on. Apply 12 volts +  to the Red/Black wire on the IGN switch or starter solenoid (no need to put the ign on). If it cranks reliably, it is likely to be the ign switch at fault. There are no clever relays between the switch and the starter, only the start inhibit switch which you have replaced.  On the ign switch the big red wire is 12V. In the engine bay use the battery terminal. Hope this helps. J.

Beetle restoration. Cabrio GTi (black and shiny). Golf driver.
16v MK2. (Oak green) Now on a Clipper (to keep). Audi A8 4.2 Quattro sport and a BMW R65 bike.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.