Mileage:131650
Price:4500
Contact details: Message me on here
Condition: very good
Service history: yes
Mot expiry Date: 26th Oct 2017
Taxed or sorn: Taxed

Description:

For sale is my much loved 1988 VW Golf GTI Cabriolet. Reason for selling is simply because I barely use her so I think it’s time for someone else to have the chance to own her.

I have owned the car since January 2011 and since then I have spent endless amount of money in improving, replacing old parts and generally trying to keep her as tip top as possible.

As you can see in the pictures she is a really good example in what I think is by far the best colour, helios blue. Current Mileage is: 131650 which might increase by maybe 10 miles. MOT expires end of October which she will fly through. She passed her last MOT with only an advisory on slight play in the top mounts which have been replaced. Since that MOT in 2016 she has only covered 800 miles.

Bodywork:

I have made some subtle modifications by smoothing the Side repeaters from the wings and number plate smoothed from front bumper and relocated, this has given the car a much smoother very subtle look. I have also sourced the full chrome trim pieces, the car would have come with black trim with chrome but I have sourced the full chrome only pieces which is much better. Also fitted is a debadged grill to finish off the smooth look.

Interior:

Still has the original seats which are in fantastic condition. Carpet is also in good condition with a very slight split in the drivers side footwell however this is covered by the car mats anyway.

Suspension:

The car has just been treated to a set of Pro sport Coilovers which are very highly rated as they are quite comfortable(rare thing when lowering mk1 golfs) however they have progressive springs which mean they stiffen up when cornering giving great handling. Along with the coilovers I have fitted an OMP lower strut brace which in a convertible really helps reduce the flex. One of the best modifications I have fitted was the raised top mounts. These are an expensive but high quality top mount which lowers the car by 40mm meaning the coilovers don’t need to be lowered right down giving you a much more comfortable ride and better handling. This also means if you wish you can slam the car right down to the ground and have it very very low if you desire.

All of these items were fitted in January and have covered around 100 miles.

Wheels and tyres:

The car has been fitted with some BBS RS replicas. The rears are 8”x15 and the fronts are 7”x15 and fitted with a slightly stretched Nankang tyre. Both wheel and tyre have covered around 1000 miles. The rears have also been fitted with 20mm hubcentric spacers giving a much better stance.

Mechanicals:

The car drives very well and the engine is strong. I had a new clutch, clutch cable and a fire wall clutch plate welded in when I first purchased the car so the clutch has only covered 12,000 or so. Discs, pads, drums, shoes and handbrake cables have covered around 3000 miles.

I have replaced pretty much every suspension bush including the rear axle bush for a poly bush so this will now outlive the car.

The car has had a 4-1 manifold and a full exhaust system fitted. Cambelt, water pump, sump pan and full service was done in October 2016 which I have covered maybe 200 miles since.The car has been serviced every year and I have a bucket load of receipts to show all of the work done.

General:

The roof is a manual operated mohair roof with the glass heated rear screen which works. The roof is in great shape and it does not leak. The car has been fitted with a Hornet Cat 1 alarm which I have the certificate for along with the proxy sensors meaning it warns people if they are to close and also it means you can leave the roof down and alarm the car and its still protected. Also a must have for most insurance companies. It has a sony Bluetooth handsfree cd player which is pretty good and I also replaced the standard speakers for jbls which sound a little better.(originals replaced so no holes cut into any panels).

ncluded is a grey Tonneau cover which is also in great shape and makes the folded roof look nice and tidy.

Bad Bits:

This is a very short list. The roof lining even in great condition is a bit grubby and could do with a deep clean or replacement.

There are two very small 5p sized rust bubbles near the rear wing near where the roof attaches. This is a common place as this is where water runs down off the roof. They are tiny and happy to share photos if needed. There is also a very small rust bubble at the bottom corner of the passenger door.

Manifold seems to blow however I have checked this out and have been told there is no blow its just the manifold material is quite thin. Would be better to have a stainless steel manifold rather than the steel one fitted, this is hardly noticeable to anyone but me it seems.

one alloy wheel as a very small kerb mark, please see picture

Passenger front speaker also makes a buzzing noise when you open the door. fine normally so must be a lose connection or something.

I have been uber critical on the car so that anyone wanting to view will know exactly what to expect. It’s a fantastic car and will only increase in value over the years but its something I just don’t use anymore.

Any questions then please call or email I am more than happy to share more photos if needed.

One last question to all the people who would like to make stupid offers. I am not in any rush to sell this car, I don’t need to sell this car and no I wont accept any stupid offers.

pistonheads link for photos:

https://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volkswagen/golf-gti-mk1-mk2/volkswagen-golf-cabrio-gti-1988/7564880

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.