Skip navigation

1983 Mk1 Golf 1.8 Gti Mars Red *sold*

Back to the top

Really don't want to sell but I can't see me ever getting round to putting this back on the road.

Model: Originally 1.3 Driver but now with Gti running gear.

Spec/Trim option:

Year of manufacture: 1983
Mileage: No idea of true mileage
Price: £5k
Contact details: al.macklen@gmail.com
Condition: Good, but a project that needs some finishing
Service history: Uh - no. Been off the road for a fair proportion of it's life though!
Mot expiry Date: N/A
Taxed or sorn: SORN

Description:

* Now SOLD *
Gonna break my heart but I think it might be time to let my MK1 go.
Always intended to get it back on the road but I am approaching 46 and now spend most of my spare time gardening ðŸ~† .
It is generally in good nick. Over the last 8 years or so I have been slowly potching away at various tasks.
Main thing was a bit of welding to repair the rear arches and the spare wheel well. Arches are finished, wheel well  patched up but needs dressing/finishing.
Lower front panel not brill but rest of the shell is good

It is not a standard or original "purists" car.
It was originally a 1.3l Driver which was converted to a big block running a 1.5l with twin 40 webers for a couple of years and then to a full 1.8 Gti set up using a complete donor car about 20 years ago.

Mileage on the original engine was about 125k.  Mileage on the Gti donor engine was about 84k, I added another 3 or 4k maybe.
I'd say the shell has about 140k on it, though I have no proof of any of this!
It is registered as a 1.8 on the log book.

Other mods include:
Alley Cat "Cheetah" alloys. (Lacquer has lifted  in places so I refinished one with black inner spokes which I think looks a lot better. Plan was to do the other three.)
Opening front quarter windows. (got these YEARS ago when they were a relatively new mod!)
Small bumpers (Chrome but painted with that rubber paint so will come off easily or need some re-touches).
Four branch manifold and K&N panel filter.
Coilovers.
Lower front strut brace.
Drilled discs up front.
Larger drums on the rear.
One of the shorter ratio gearboxes - can't remember the code.
A one off cable shifter conversion (been on for years, no issues).
Recaro front seats which I re-trimmed with original centres.
Polo 6n dashboard (needs finishing).
Electric windows.
Smoothed tailgate.

It's got a new fuel tank and filler neck.
If I was keeping it, I think I'd find another original dash and re-instate (my old one was poor and I fancied a change, hence the polo item).

Last started a couple of years ago with fresh oil plus a bit down the bores and hand cranking before firing up. Ran as well as it always did once it burnt off the oil.
Would need to do the same again with a new battery to get it running and will obviously smoke heavily as a result.

Got spare gearbox, some glass, 4x Pirelli alloys (2x MK1 + 2x MK2), 4x Teardrop alloys plus loads of smaller bits like dashboard pieces and windscreen pillar mouldings.
I think there is a tailgate and a door in Lhasa green too (Might have chucked them out though - I can't remember!)

I have owned this since 1994 if I remember rightly!
Car was painted and rebuilt just before my wedding in 2004 and was featured in "The Golf" in October of that year.
It has now been SORN for a good 10/12 years though and kept garaged.

This is not a show car and will need a little work finish and make presentable.
It is however a very solid base.

Some photos available via the Google Photos link below.
First is as it looked in 2004. Last 3 were taken a couple of weeks ago. Others are some that I have taken over the years while doing bits and pieces.

Really don't know what value to put on it - £5k?
No silly low ball offers please. I'd rather keep it. Any genuine interest, drop me an email.

Cheers,
AL.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bp5SzVVyQA76QsVo9

IMG_20190728_134701.jpg PXL_20210502_100120105.jpg

Last edit: by AL_Mk1

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.