Skip navigation

Vauxhall 256mm brakes

Back to the top

what discs to use?

Hiya,
Wanted to do a 256mm brake conversion on my 1.3 as the brakes are scary…
I understand the cheapest option is to get a pair of calipers from a Vauxhall. Does anyone know if there are any Vauxhall 256mm calipers that don't work??

Also, I have read that the mk2 gti 16v vented discs are the ones to use. The concern I have is that the Vauxhall calipers are designed for 24mm discs and the mk2 16v discs are only 20mm thick. Is this safe? Or are these the wrong discs/calipers to be using?

Cheers
Rob

Back to the top
Bit of info here mate http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mk1_Polo_Club/index.php?showtopic=2398

unfortunately the links back to here don't work. But does list out the part numbers etc you'll need ( I think!)

Cheers Ian  ;)

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
Apparently I need to be a member to view that :/ if you could copy and paste it over that would be sweet cheers  :thumbs:

Back to the top
Try this lot Rob

Couple of nuggest of info regarding 256mm brakes, for hefty braking and clearance for 14"+ wheels.

will NOT clear 13s unless running motorsport-esque wheels (wellers.compos.some 3 pieces splits)

256mm conversion using oem parts

MK1 bolt spacing 256mm carrier: 853 615 125
84-92 Scirocco
85-88 Passat/Santana
83-87 Audi 80/90/Avant/quattro
81-88 Audi Coupe/quattro

256mm conversion using GM parts - all credt goes to manicGTI from the vw mk1 golf owners club and redbaron from the caddy forum

part 1

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=15014

part 2

http://www.vwgolfmk1.org.uk/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=17294

Shopping list for the conversion:

VW:
-Mk2 Golf 16V 256mm Vented Discs (Same as Passat etc)

GM:
-90s 16V Spec Calipers and Carriers (with slider bolts etc)
-Matching Pads.
-Matching Vauxhall Front Brake Flexis (Bolt to Caliper with M10x1.25 Banjo Bolts/Copper Washers)

Other:
-Brake Fluid (ho hum!).
-Bolts:
EITHER: Extended M10 Bolts (carriers are thicker) with 12/10mm sleeve, easily made from mild steel tube from B&Q
OR: M12x25 Shoulder Bolts (High tensile, 12.9 spec)

brake set up came on Mk2 Astra 16V, Mk3 Cavalier 16V, Calibra 16V, and possibly mk3 Astra (?). Absolutly tons of them around and shouldn't cost more than ?30-40.

That must be the only part of the site you've got to a member for. Sorry didn't realise!

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
i used mk2 16v vented discs when i did my vauxhall 256 setup mate

Back to the top
Cheers guys. So I can use 20mm discs with the 24mm calipers? I just don't want the issue of pistons coming out or getting jammed obviously!!
Just didn't know if I'm looking at the wrong Vauxhall calipers and I actually need 20mm ones.

Back to the top
All i did was upgrade to VW II calipers, some decent pads and vented discs with braided lines. They work a treat now, and fit behind 13" rims.

Rusty Hookers Dub Club

Back to the top
Thanks for the replies. Found someone breaking a cavalier 8v with 256mm discs to get the calipers from. He seems to know his vauxhalls and reckons there is only one 256mm setup on the cavaliers so should be okay. Bought 256mmx20mm discs and cavalier pads today. All in the conversion is going to cost me around £100 by the looks of things, with new brake flexi's, discs and pads.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.