Skip navigation

Mirror holder for 1987 Golf gti

Back to the top
20170815_175412.jpg 20170815_175409.jpg

Hi

I'm not sure what I'm looking for! Good start I know! I'm in need of a holder or something for my mirror. The below images are what I currently have. Should there be a holder so it slides on to the windscreen? I bought the car with the mirror like this!

Please can someone help ? Does anyone know where I can find the little addition I need?

Thanks
Amanda

Back to the top
there should be a grub screw that allows you to separate the metal plate so you can then bond it to the screen then attach the mirror back on

Back to the top
No, that silver part has to be affixed to the window glass.

The mirror front has a Phillips screw that holds that piece in place, so you need to loosen it.

On the glass there should be an outline of where it was glued to the windscreen.  On the outside of the Glass using a sharpie marker, trace the outline on the windscreen.

Scrape all the residual glue off the inside of the screen.
Wipe the area with 100 proof alcohol.

Now if you go to a parts store they sell Rearview Mirror adhesive, it comes with 2 parts a activator, and a glue.
These are fine and dandy, and you can mount your mirror in a few minutes after glueing.  But I have found that the Age of the stuff sitting on the shelf is Dubious, and the things may hold for a year, or two.

Apply the activator to the glass, then apply a drop or two of glue to the metal button (take care as it is one directional and can be glued on bassackwards).

Push the button with glue on to the activator and press hard for about 1 minute.  Your mirror should be ok to mount, but read the instructions….as set times vary by manufacturer.

What I have done  because of heat issues where I live they fall off fairly regularly because of heat failure.

Mark where the button was affixed on the outside of the glass.

I clean the inside glass with alcohol twice.
I apply a dollop of Clear RTV (silicone glue) to the back of the button Press it firmly in to the mark, and use wide Painters tape to hold the button to the glass.  I let it sit for 24 hours.  Peal the tape wipe off dried noodles of glue from the edges with a razor, and affix the mirror.

This repair lasts me 7-8 years and I am going on 10 on one of my rides…. If they glue aquariums glass with it, then it has to be good for this too, was my original argument.

How to glue a rearview mirror back on - YouTube

OPPS I forgot if your old glue isn't on the glass anymore as an outline, then center it between the sunvisors in the down position so you don't move the mirror when you flip them down.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Hi

Thanks for the information guys, I've had a look for the screw to take out. It looks like this screw is already out. The silver metal plate won't budge. Do I need the little screw in?

Thanks
Amanda

Back to the top
Yes as you need it to lock it back in place once you have removed the metal lock from the mirror, if the metal button doesn't move oll to see if some one used a set screw.  That metal button has to come out to regule the button, as you can support the weight of the mirror for the glue to totally harden.

Worse case is that you will need to source a new mirror and button.  Repos are out there as well as in a variety of breakers… shoot measure the length then hit the breakers for a VW product with the same length ok width of the mirror….

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Thanks so much for your help.

I agree with you , I think I may need to get a new mirror. There's definitely no screw in there, which is a bit annoying.

Thanks 😊

Amanda
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.