Skip navigation

1980 s1 gti

Back to the top

no chassis number

few years ago I bought a 1980 s1 gti that had been restored before I got it but wasn't restored awful well.the other week I had to move from one storage spot to another,had a look at drivers side turret and cant see and chassis number stamped into metal.gave the paint bit of sand back see was it under layer of paint but no.but when sanding back paint I can see bits of gambia red the car is mars red.im thinking may have got replacement turret,is it possible to stamp number back into turret.i have vin plate on front panel that's only number I can see

cheers

Back to the top
does it still ave the fire wall and scuttle intact? as its also stamped on there.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?276577-Where-do-I-find-the-VIN-plate

Back to the top

easternkris said

does it still ave the fire wall and scuttle intact? as its also stamped on there.

http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?276577-Where-do-I-find-the-VIN-plate

Not on a Series 1, its on the front strut, or should be.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Fire wall still in place but no chassis number.cant see nothing on turret 

Back to the top
any one

Back to the top
Not sure its legal, but if you support the turret with something solid, don't see why you could,nt stamp some numbers on it/in it.

Back to the top
Or should I just leave it with number on vin plate

Back to the top
The only real issue is when you come to sell it, as long as you are happy and know where it's come from and it's not stolen, and you have the right documents. Surely it's not a problem.

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
I have all the paper work for the car

Back to the top
Old Land rovers suffer the same.
The chassis number was stamped on the front spring hanger on the leafers and inevitably being a Landy they rust and fall off!
I never heard it being an issue in those circles.
As above it just makes it more difficult to sell on to someone who doesn't want the same concerns as you.
I can never understand why people choose to chop out the scuttle of a series 2 as it leaves the same issue.

Back to the top
I could always stamp it back into turret
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.