Skip navigation

1980 gls interior

Back to the top

I'm looking for help to find what my interior should look like.

Hi all 
I own a 1980 1.3 gls Inari silver Golf
I'm looking to go original with it an don't know where to start interior wise.
Specs, Colours, would it had door pockets with speaker etc. 
How do I find out.? 

Many thanks 🙏 

Back to the top
i believe their is a sticker in the boot that has codes that correspond to what it left the factory with; I don't know much myself however Ive been looking for a gls interior as a lot of them where brown, however I think their was also a blue/grey interior which may have been fitted in the silver cars; heres a link to the blue grey gls interior in an article and the brown interior, hope this helps

https://blog.heritagepartscentre.com/blog/2013/09/03/new-mk1-golf-catalogue/

https://www.ausmotive.com/2009/10/25/volkswagen-golf-brochure-1980.html

Back to the top
Thanks for that I can't see sticker anymore unfortunately. 
Cheers for links

Back to the top

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks all. I'll have a read.
I believe I have correct early dash with small round vents.
Just need to find out about seats as mine are blue an grey/black Also I think I might have wrong door cards mine are grey/black  with pocket, speaker holders?
Standard mirrors not adjustable from inside but it's a 1980 so not sure on this.
Big bumpers all round I believe is correct. 
I put a black carpet in myself to smarten it up so not fussed I can change this whenever for a genuine one just really need to know correct interior colours. 

Back to the top
Looking at this link the silver cars came with the black CA trim….?

http://www.ausmotive.com/images/VW-1980-Golf-brochure-12.jpg

I know my mums 1980 Mk1 Golf GLS in inari silver metallic did have the ivy CD interior as stated in this brochure… The car is long gone but I remember it well from my childhood. ;)

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thanks,
i was reading it as Inari silver could have black or gazelle upholstery, an as I have mainly black an blue seats upholstery I would like to get corrected, just Really need to see if I can find out somehow. I'm gonna have to look see if any remnants of a sticker anywhere in back. 

Back to the top
Fingers crossed someone with the same car as you may pop up and let us know what interior they have as I think there is a couple of Mk1 golf GLS owners on here.  :thumbs:

Back to the top
👍🏻😂 I hope so. Not many 1980 Gls models left though especially in Inari silver I doubt. 

Back to the top
Just re read your first post as I thought your car was silver not the greeny inari silver, as I said before my mothers 1980 Mk1 GLS had the ivy CD (green checked) interior, green door cards and green seats but I can't remember the colour of the carpet…

I don't think I have a picture as the car was sold on 30 years ago…

I guess you will have problems finding the original Ivy seat material?

place in germany selling seat material but they don’t list the ivy…

https://www.werk34.de/en/water-cooled/golf-mk-i/interior-parts/seat-upholstery/

Last edit: by mark1gls

Back to the top
Thanks for help. If I can't find out I guess I'll be keeping the blue/black interior I got at least it's all genuine 👍🏻👍🏻

Back to the top
Had a real good look today I can see where sticker should of been an I think the letters met.
Which I take is short for outside colour metallic?? 
Never mind interior will just have to stay like it is. 

Back to the top
I think that's the best plan as tracking down a 40 year old good condition none faded green interior is like finding hens teeth..  

Back to the top
Cheers for help. 
One more question on interior though as it was a 1980 it's the series 1 I take it as I have an early dash which was in car when I bought the roller, But Would I have had adjustable mirrors from inside car? As used Door cards I bought have the whole in but I might sell them if I should have standard mirrors.
Thanks 

Back to the top
I believe the GLS would have door mirrors you can adjust from inside the car.
Yes early style dash with the 1990s Madonna pointy bra clear covers over the Rev counter and speedo.  :lol:

Back to the top
👍🏻 Thanks really appreciate this. I been looking on google images a lot an most gls I have seen pics of have adjustable from inside so that's good cheers.

Back to the top
The GLS was the top of range in its day so had all the luxuries, made me laugh reading the brochure about the Golf with safety features like padded dash board, sun visors and anti dazzle rear view mirror…

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/index.php?page=galleries&type=image&id=untitled_510&wide=1

Back to the top
Could anybody possible let me know where I can find the m-codes
I just did a birth certificate for my golf have a few 
M731 says cannot be identified,  what is this code?
Also has code
B55- m package, what is this?

Back to the top
It's also come back on the certificate says its a golf gl? There's no gls on there like my logbook says??? 🤷‍♂️ confused

An it would of had a cd/ivy interior so thanks for your help. 

Last edit: by Mattvwbug

Back to the top
Looked at the brochure.  Think that interiors varied not according to the brochure.  I owned a 1980 1.3 Driver a long time ago, and the interior was the black & white chequered.  I've currently got an orange 1.3 GLS, which is a donar car, and the interior on that is black & white chequered.  It is completely rotten but all the original internal features are all there and the engine cranks.  It had been dumped on someone's farm in 1993.  So a barn find without the barn.  I'll be selling the bits off it soon.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.