Skip navigation

Cat C cars - holding value etc

Back to the top
Hi

I'm looking at buying a mk1 again and have seen one that's been recently repainted, repairs done well etc but it's come up as a CAT C stolen recovered in 2012 (not by police or insurance), VIC inspection done 2013.

I understand there is a minefield or reasons why it was CAT C but how much would this affect future value etc from your more experienced opinions and would you stay clear of it

Thank you

Back to the top
My problem with buying a cat c, unless maybe its a very good price, is that one day you might want to sell it...

Back to the top

abfmk1 said

My problem with buying a cat c, unless maybe its a very good price, is that one day you might want to sell it…

Agree, just thinking that with the fact Mk1's are always increasing in value eventually would that matter ?

I've done some digging and seen posts (not pictures) from previous owners of what was damaged and it was bought back by the owner years ago repaired then sold on

Back to the top
Obviously you pay a cheaper price when the car is a category vehicle but I guess it comes down to whether you feel happy with the price that you paid for the category that the car is registered in. Personaly I wouldn't as you can never vouch for how the repair was done and to what standard

Back to the top
A CAT C car will always be worth 30%-50% (dependant on original damage) less than market value of a non cat car.

As long as you buy it at a price that correlates with this, and expect to sell it at a price that correlates to this, then there will be no issues.

(assuming the repair is adequate of course)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.