Skip navigation

Mk1 Caddy 1.5

Back to the top
Hi guys
I’m Rob and new to the forum,
I have just took over ownership of my old mans mk1 caddy,I think it’s the 1.5 petrol, certainly don’t think it’s the 1.8 sport, not sure about engine codes etc.
im after a few bits of info like parts compatibility with other engines, mainly Webber carbs and 4 branch exhaust manifolds and cam’s etc
if you guys have any handy links that would be ace too
ive tried the search function but I’m a bit rubbish with forum’s

cheers Rob

Back to the top
If it's the original engine it should have the engine code on the log book?

The engine code is stamped into the engine block just below cylinder 3 spark plug.

If the head has the main front water outlet between cylinders 1 and 2 (timing belt end is cylinder 1) it’s a 1.5/1.6 head and if the water outlet is between cylinders 3 and 4 then it’s a 1.8 head.

It does help to know what engine is fitted and the year of the car as things changed as time went on like different style of tappets and makes a difference to what style of cam shaft you need/want  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Top tip for searching this forum is to use google. In the google search box type:
site:vwgolfmk1.org.uk your search term here

By doing that you are restricitng the google results to this website. It's way more powerful than the forum search.

My rebuild thread I will try and keep up to date: here

K-Jet fuel pressure test guage How-To

Back to the top
Any pictures? Colour is it ? And welcome to the forum.

Back to the top
Sorry for the slow reply guys, not had chance to get back in the garage all week,

Thanks for the search tips, will give that a try!

Cant see the engine code on the block, its pretty minging so likely covered up untill I degrease and clean the bay, can you tell the head off this photo?

20210130_145257.jpg

Log book says its a 1595 petrol engine number ew022780
Does that mean its effectively a carb mk1 gti engine or am I being nieve?

Any info is greatly appreciated :)

Back to the top
Looks like a stock 1600 engine mate what's the truck like?

Back to the top
That's should be a 1.8 if the engine block matches the head as the water outlet is between cylinders 3 and 4.

It's possibly an EX engine.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Cheers guys, confused now as I can't imagine its had a swap in its life, its been in the family since nearly new, will chuck some degreaser round it and see if I can dig up an engine code.

Back to the top
So I found the engine code on the block and its an EW 02 … so its a standard block with a 1.8 head?

Is that a common mod to for these? Confused as to which parts I can fit now 😅

Back to the top

Rtay90 said

So I found the engine code on the block and its an EW 02 … so its a standard block with a 1.8 head?

Now you understand the term "Frankenwagen" .
Muahahahahahahahahaha. :)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top
Is it forsale :thumbs:

Back to the top

Rtay90 said

Post @'82/83 1600 and 1800 injection, carb, diesel had the same style of head. Althought used as an easy way to differentiate 1.6 and 1.8 GTI engines in MK1s that style head was used across all big block engines. Yours is a post '83 1.6 75bhp engine.

I think all UK Caddys were 1.6 D or  1.6 carb apart from the rare later 1.8 Sports

1983 Mars Red 1.8 Golf GTI
1987 Alpine White 1.8 Clipper Cabriolet

The trouble with doing nothing is that you never know when you are finished.

Back to the top
Nice one, that clears it up nicely.
Thanks guys!

And no its not for sale 😅
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.