Skip navigation

What is this part

Back to the top

Fuel leak

Hi, I've been restoring a MK1 Golf Cabriolet A reg 1.8 GTI for a few years, I've recently got it out the garage to complete the final bits and it sprung a fuel leak. On further investigation a part looks like it has deteriorated hand snapped off. Can you tell me what it is as my search has failed. Also where I could purchase a replacement from 9953FC09-9915-4783-BE23-EC8684E354A9.jpeg 2C0E42F3-B7AD-4A70-9EB2-F82EABEB0896.jpeg

Back to the top
I believe it's the swirl pot.

https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/fuel-swirl-pot--filter-gti-533201511a-mk1-golf-cabriolet-scirocco-4981-p.asp

They are expensive for a plastic pot, I think there was a second and one for sale on here?

I thought 1981 cars had the smaller tank without the plastic swirl pot as VW fitted them to later cars 1984 ish onwards with the larger fuel tank. Easy way to tell the size of your tank is look at your spare wheel, small fuel tank has a full size spare wheel and larger fuel tank has a space saver spare wheel..

I could be wrong as I have a later car…O_ohttps://volkswagen.7zap.com/en/rdw/golf+cabriolet/goc/1984-44/2/201-69020/

Last edit: by mark1gls

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
On the Cabriolets it was a MId-Year change over from the 10 Gallon to 13 Gallon tank.  That is 84 was ten, and 84.5 13.

Space saver spare tire was the quick fact check.

Other note was that a 84.5 with CIS had an in-tank or lift pump, and an external main fuel pump.  In tank is rated at 45 psi, and the external was rated at 75.

The 90's Cabriolets had 2 fuel pumps both rated at 45 PSI.

It looks like this.

Yes they are Pricey…… They are usually listed in the ETKA as a Filter, as there is a Filter screen in it.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

What is this part

Couldn’t get the link to copy sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back to the top
UK A reg cars are August 1983 to July 1984 so your car must be a late built car.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting

Back to the top
Thank you for your help, I've got it off, defo a swirl pot. It had a crack all the way along. Probs been leaking years. 

Back to the top
How long has the car been sat?
If the swirl pot has a crack in it I guess other parts of the fuel system needs checking.
The K-jet system runs at a high pressure compared to most cars so check it all over and have a good look inside the tank before starting the car as you don't want to drag though bad rusty fuel through the injection system or you will be chasing problems with the fuel system and parts are getting expensive to replace.

Back to the top
The swirl pot is @ 45 ps1…as it is the sump from which the main feeds.

The in-tank pump is 33Gal/hr and 45psi.

I have heard of folks patching it with fuel grade epoxies.

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.