Skip navigation

Mk1 GTi on eBay

Back to the top

Advice please!

Hi all
I've just joined, as I am currently looking to get into Mk1 ownership. Hello all!

I just wanted some advice and ask if anyone has seen this car for sale on eBay?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-Mk1-Gti-non-sunroof-44-000-miles-genuine-from-new/174179078475?hash=item288de1d14b:g:vbYAAOSw5udd3RAs

It sounds like a genuine car  - so I thought I'd ask if anyone has seen / heard of this car and is it a genuine one? Anyone been to see it?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Back to the top
Looks like a good honest car, MOT history goes back every year to 2006 and would suggest mileage is genuine. Noted for a number of years as front offside inner wing corrosion as an advisory, perhaps not surprising if it's never been restored.

Is it worth £15k? I guess that's up to you but it's probably a reasonable investment if you keep it original & just tidy it up a bit. There won't be many with that mileage, but it needs the history to go with it.

Just my opinion, but I'd certainly be going to have a viewing.

Back to the top
Thank you for the response much appreciated. I might well go and see it in that case!

Back to the top
The car looks great but to my mind it's a survivor car that you most likely wouldn't drive as you wouldn't want to put miles or wear on it - more of a museum piece or vehicle you'd trailer to shows rather than drive.

There's also the question over the history. I'd like to think that the mileage was genuine but without a comprehensive service record it's tricky to prove. If you're buying it as an investment you need to consider that you will also have to try to convince the next owner/investor that the mileage is genuine as it's a pricey MK1 that'll command strong money and they'll want to be 100%. I'm pretty sure these are the questions that are being directed at the current owner at the moment.

I've loved MK1's for most of my life and the buzz I get out of them is driving them, working on them. I'm an amateur when it comes to the mechanics and bodywork but will always complete all of the jobs myself. With the assistance and the wealth of knowledge from the members of this forum you'll always get there in the end. 

Black 1984 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.

Back to the top
My opinion from just seeing the photos and reading the description… he'd have to give me  a 7k discount.  

Try your luck, but for the love of god, don't pay that kind of money… I'd want a S1 for that. 

Back to the top
Nice survivor car. Not pristine so not worth that kind of money imo.

I'm with Roach on this one. About 7k. Although you know the comment will be 'well find another with 2 owners and that mileage'

But then I modify them, drive them, break them and fix em. So what do I know!  O_o  

:lol:

Welcome along by the way  :thumbs:

Ian

Cornish Host.
1980 VW Derby
Clive the Cabby
Ujum the Invisible
Mynx the  Tintop

Back to the top
I've decided against seeing it - without the service book, that mileage can't be corroborated. If it had one, I'd be interested. 

The hunt continues!

Back to the top
And thank you all for the lovely welcome! :-)

Back to the top

Back to the top
Yeah I've seen that one too. To be honest, I was looking for a lower mileage one and willing to pay more for it to be. 
Maybe I should be less prescriptive, because I'm looking for something that might be too hard to find!

Back to the top
Yall, pay some crazy prices over there.... :)

What do Divorces, Great Coffee, and Car Electrics all have in common?

They all start with GOOD Grounds.

Where are my DIY Links?

Back to the top

Pistol said

I'd have that one over the other one any day. 

Don't let mileage put you off. 

Back to the top

Roach said

Pistol said

I'd have that one over the other one any day. 

Don't let mileage put you off. 
 Yes, I was going to suggest this one too. The mileage wouldn't worry me at all, it's always the body that's the killer! 

Black 1984 MK1 Golf GTI Campaign.

Back to the top
The second one looks a better bet

Although don't be blinded by its "originality"

Those plates and dealer sticker are repros from Dmb

I'd never be put off by mileage on a car ever, if it makes all the right noises everywhere else

An engine or gearbox can be rebuilt easily or replaced in a weekend

bodywork, paint, trim, floors pans, inner wings and suspension mounting points are a lot harder to do!  And really takes the fun out of it 😂

My old Lhasa green Gti had 188k on it, still went like it should and despite selling it over 15 years ago, it's still got an mot and tax on it

Just find a good car, not a garage Queen that's too much money for the fun factor of owning it

Back to the top
Welcome to the forum.  Like others have said… mileage isnt everything on these cars… it's the overall condition. If however your thing is a low mileage mk1 golf that can be 100% proven then go for it and dont settle.

You will definitely be searching for a fair while but if that's what you want, that's what you want bud.

Good luck with whatever avenue you choose to go down.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.