Skip navigation

wheel size help for 1986 cabriolet gti

Back to the top
Hi Folks newbie here I've just took a leap of faith and purchased a nice little 1986 gti cabriolet the car is pretty mint but the first thing I want to do is replace the wheels with something more substantial as I feel the current set look far too small so I'm looking for a set that fill out the wheel arches more, what I'm struggling with is what size should I buy? There's so much choice on ebay with regards to offset, diameter and bore size etc any advice would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance folks.

Back to the top
Welcome gazza74

Do you have any pics of your car?

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you advice re: wheels. I run standard 13" steelies so I'm of no use to you  :lol:

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top
Hi couple of pics for you.

$_58.jpeg $_58-1.jpeg

Back to the top
Looking very clean  :thumbs:

'83 Formel E aka Oreo!

Banner

Back to the top

wheel size help for 1986 cabriolet gti

Hi and welcome,

7" is about the widest you would want to go without having to modify the arches. 7.5" will work but is close to the strut or front arch depending on offset. 8" will go on the rear.

Wheels can be fitted from 13" to 16" diameter and still retain the same rolling radius, well within a few percent.

Common tyres are:
175x70x13 (I think)
185x60x14
195x50x15, a lot run 45 series as well and accept the error.
195x40x16

17" can be done, 35 series tyres, not sure on width though.

ET usually around 37. The lower the ET the further the wheels stick out.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Thank you much appreciated guys.

Back to the top
Hi folks I have my eye on a set of wheels on ebay that have a 45 offset will these fit my car don't want to commit until i'm sure.

Thanks

Back to the top

gazza74 said

Hi folks I have my eye on a set of wheels on ebay that have a 45 offset will these fit my car don't want to commit until i'm sure.

Thanks

What is the full size?
i.e. wheel diameter, wheel width

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
Congrats on the purchase dude… (think i seen it Freeads the other day…) looked clean. :thumbs:wheel offset is 38 & PCD is 4x100

I've got 2 sets of Avus/Scala Snowflakes (1 set on the car & the other set going for refurb when i get a spare £400 :'()  i'll be knocking those out before too long hopefully… 

Back to the top
Would think they may need a spacer (et 45) to clear strut/spring.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.