Skip navigation

MK1 Cabrio Dilemma

Back to the top
Hi all, im after a bit of advice, father in law has just passed away in Cyprus and we need to decide on what to do with his much loved Mk1 GTI cabrio. Its a uk car that he shipped out there some years ago, its 1990, 114k miles in white.  Its got no service history but i know he has had lots of work done to it, brakes, water pump etc.

Dilemma is, do we try to sell it out there or ship it back and then decide what to do with it.  Rough cost to get it from Cyprus to Southampton is £1000.

I know there isnt much info here, but what is it worth?  Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Galvo1878

Back to the top
unless you wanted to run the car yourself i dont think it woudl be worth the hassle of re-importing it, dependign on the model/engien you probably wouldnt see much more than 1k for it (sportlines do fetch a nice premium though!)

may be worth seeing what cabs sell for over in cyprus, im sure you'll have a lot of ex-pats over there who would want it!

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
surely you could have an epic road trip and drive it home for less?  ;)

Back to the top
Car prices are higher in Cyprus than back in the UK. You'll get more money for the car over there.

Ad.

Back to the top
Doesn't Nosmonkey travel / have rellies out in Cyprus, he may have a good idea about prices and the local market. give him a shout.

Back to the top
Thanks everyone for your advise. We've decided to keep it in Cyprus, a family friend is going to advertise it on our behalf. We took it to a local garage yesterday and it will cost 480 euros to put an mot on it ( tyres, shocks, gear linkage overhaul and to sort out an oil leak ). It also has 400 euros worth of back tax ( when its off the road over there, the road tax accrued has to be paid when it goes back on the road, hence Back Tax, either by us to make it easier to sell or by the new buyer) so 880 euros plus approx £1k to get it home ( it has to be taxed to ship it back, apparently ) just doesn't make it financially viable to bring home, which is a shame as its a nice car.
I've looked at prices over there, and there is a similar car for sale, albeit 2 years older for 3500 euros, so you never know…..

Once again, many thanks for all help and advice.

Galvo187c
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.