Skip navigation

1984 Rabbit GTI won't start

Back to the top

Need help

Ok so I just purchased my first MK1 I call her project Jolene, but anyways I finally got it home and it won't start. When I first purchased the car it would crank but not start, all I would have to do is raise the air filter cover and push this plunger in few times and it would fire right up but now that won't even work. I do hear the fuel pump whine but only after I stop cranking, I tried to find a thread that already discussed this but couldn't find any info.

Back to the top
Could be the metering head is all gummed up with old fuel if it's not been running for a long time, have a look at page 3-4 of my thread, the plunger on the head moves the air flap that you have been wiggling.

http://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.php?page=topicview&type=misc&id=projects%2Fyour-mk1-golfs_2%2Fcampaign-woken-up&start=40

Golf GTI Campaign 1983 Mars Red, Ford S-Max 2015, Audi TT 180 quattro 2003, Fiat 500C 2013, Golf GTE MK7.5

image.jpeg

Back to the top
Second that for old fuel gumming up everything

Back to the top
Thanks for the help guys I did a little more troubleshooting and the Cold start valve isn't getting power.  I used a jumper wire and she fired right up like a champ.  Now I just need to find a wiring diagram for that circuit to see where the problem is.

Back to the top
check any post from rubjohnny, he has a link to all wiring diagrams.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.