Skip navigation

Might be picking up a MK1 GTI Cabriolet tomorrow - Advice needed

Back to the top
As above, I went to view a 1991 GTI Cabriolet yesterday and I might buy/collect it tomorrow. The only uncertainties in my mind at the moment are whether the roof is folding correctly (tried to post pic in exterior forum) and also what it's like without power steering?

I'm going from a 05 Fiesta ST, which has seen its last day. Not sure what to expect from the driving experience of the golf and the seller did take me for a drive to listen out for noises etc, but wouldn't let me drive it as its currently SORN etc. My only other concern was a slight whiring noise for the first few seconds when started cold. This went after a few seconds and it had warmed up, but I don't know if this is normal?

Bit of advice/steer please…..

Back to the top
There is a great buyers guide on the forum somewhere. It helped me massively. Will try and find the link to it.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
On the home page, right hand side near the bottom is a list of guides, buying a cabriolet is worth having a look at.

1985 Cabriolet GL

Back to the top
Yeah, I've read the guide but still unsure…

Back to the top
The golf is a great drivers car, some may say tin tops better and could be stiffer because of the roof.

He shouldn't be driving it if its sorn as insurance would be invalid with no tax anyway, but if he was willing to take you for a drive I am surprised he wasn't happy for you to drive in a large car park somewhere etc

The steering is heavier when driving slow and parking, but once on the move most don't find it a problems, also it adds to the character of driving a Mk1 golf

There are retro fit able power steering kits available , so if you did find steering too heavy you could consider that

Every car of this age would drive different to another depending on maintenance, whether it still on original suspension what the condition of that is , tyre size etc etc

I would say don't expect it to be as "tight" as your ST not stop as quick, however the power delivery would be different, you can chuck it around a fair bit, and mine always put a smile on my face.

What you have to remember is you are driving a mk1 golf, and that is its own experience  :)

whirring sound when starting cold is not normal could just be a starter motor on its last legs though …..

SOUTHWEST Regional Host. Bristol Meet - 1st Friday of the month - Toby Carvery Bradely Stoke Bristol Bristol Region Facebook Group
1.8T CABBY
TINTOP THREAD (SOLD 2016) SPORTLINE THREAD (SOLD 2015) CLIPPER THREAD (SOLD 2012) Banner

Back to the top
Costs around £160 for a power steering rack. Not long done mine

Back to the top
One other question I had was……..

There are stone chip guards I believe, in front of the rear wheels. One is the same colour as the car, almost, but the other looks like it's taken a beating and is almost black now. Guessing this is becasue that's the colour beneath? Are these removable, for repair/re-paint purposes, or does it need to be repainted insitu?

Back to the top
Mine need replacing or repairing to. Not to sure how to go about it though
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.