Skip navigation

1979 gti - how much is it worth....???

Back to the top
Hi guys

just need a little help working out how much my 1979 3 door tin top gti is actually worth

lots of history

since the pics below I have replaced the rear panel with a orignal series 1 pannel

any more info that would help with a rough value please ask

Kr

wibbs
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Back to the top
Tricky one still looks like work is needed

Are all the parts there or just a shell

Banner

Back to the top
As a bare solid restored shell with no parts maybe £2k. Without any parts the value is tne same as any model.

Banner

Back to the top
I have boot and bonnet, no wings
but do have a 5door 1979 series 1 which is fully in tact
which I was going to donor from, which has a org 1.5 gls engine and Trans
also a 2.0l 16v ABF engine and loom

regards 

Back to the top
The value isn't great as a shell, shell and a doner then it would be worth more

Banner

Back to the top
I don't think the parts you mention will add any value and more likely lessen it if you fit them as they are non standard parts.Worth more as a reshell for someone with a rotten S1 GTi and sell the other parts separately

Banner

Back to the top
Ok cool
thanks

Back to the top
What was the rear panel off?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
79 series 1 rear pannel

Back to the top
the one pictured has a strange gap under the lights, thats not correct is it?

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
Yeah the one in the pic is a series 2 rear panel with some welding and filler to make the series 1 small rear lights fit, that's why I replaced it for a org series 1 panel 

Back to the top

Oh I see.

Regards Volkswarren

Back to the top
The series 1 GTI's value goes hand in hand with its originality. So, the less unique parts, the less value. To sum This one up quickly, there's no interior, no firewall in the engine bay, no engine or gearbox, and no wheels. In fact, it's missing almost all of what makes the S1 GTI more appealing, and more valuable.

Don't be disheartened though, as these parts are all still available, albeit with some degree of difficulty and cost at times. But, it is what it is, and that's a S1 GTI, and that alone has some real value. Re-shelling another S1 GTI is not an ideal choice, because you're taking another 1% of the total S1 GTI's left, and effectively scrapping one. If you're going to use another car as a donor, then it should be a base model.

This car should be either enjoyed as a great Mk1 that's modified to your current taste, or carefully put back to what it really is. Even if you source only 90% of the original parts, it will always be a S1. There are very, very few that are 100% original, as almost all of them have been modified or updated over the years, so you will be forgiven for a few later parts to get it presentable and running until the correct parts turn up.

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
Sorry to be harsh but in my opinion I think it's worth about £500 as the scuttle panel has been cut out, the strut tops have been chopped off so there is no confirmed identity of the vehicle. The vehicle has series 2 front and rear panels as far a I can see. So are you sure that it is actually a series 1? Sorry for the bad news, although that is just my opinion. Andrew

Back to the top
Defiantly a series 1,
if you read the description I have already explained about rear pannel, and the front pannel is deffo a series 1

1974-1979 is series 1
1980- 1993-but can be debatable, series 2

i have log book so I'm deffo sure it's a series 1…….

always somebody who wants to rob somebody's thread bit like a bird who rob another birds nest……….(cuckoo)

thanks for for yuor negative comments, much apriciated

have a great life CUCKOO

Back to the top

But surely you need a balance of positive and negative opinions to get a much closer idea of its value ?

In the end there is only one sure way to find out - put it up for sale and it will find its own level.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

Back to the top
That's a little unfair, and not really appropriate given that you've openly asked for some help on putting a value on your car. The speculation people are giving you is based on the originality and how complete the car is. As it's been butchered about with during its life, some of its identity has been lost, and naturally makes those with the 'knowledge' sceptical.

I'll confirm that the car is a S1 GTI, as I know a little of its history, and believe it was from Newcastle more recently when it ran Red Splits, had a glass sunroof, and a 16v motor on carbs. It's been on my unofficial S1 GTI register for some time.

Furthermore, the value of these cars fluctuates wildly, dependant on their originality, and people are merely pointing out that yours is down the scale of value because of its current state.

Don't make it personal, it's a car!

Last edit: by benandemu

1980 Mars Red GTI BRMotorsport 142
1983 Black GTI

Back to the top
It's a rolling shell, with id, that needs work, I agree with all those comments above. I would say you would be lucky to get £500 for it.

1979 mk1 Golf Gti (Dan)
1983 mk1 Golf gti G60 (little-un)

1991 mk2 Golf Country Chrome Edition
2010 T5 Karmann Colorado

2012 mk6 Golf Tdi convertible
2019 Skoda Octavia Sport ( it’s Golf)

Back to the top
I have no idea what it is worth but I do think every one here has been honest as in their own opinion as they see the car for what it is to them.
If you cannot accept the bad posts as well as the good ones don't ask people opinions.
At the end of the day it is a car and we all have our different views on value.
We all have one thing in common though our love of the MK1.
Andy

Back to the top

What are your plans with it?

Regards Volkswarren

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.