Skip navigation

USA - 1979 Golf Gti 1.6 Heron - Complete Restoration $12500

Back to the top

USA - 1979 Golf Gti 1.6 Heron - Complete Restoration $12500

LOCATED IN USA -  Thought i might post it here?

1979 Mk1 Volkswagen Golf Gti ( yes German Import ) Not available in USA back in 1979

Complete Restoration

Car was featured in Hemmings Sport & Exotic Car in Febuary 2010 Link Below
http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2010/02/01/hmn_tips2.html

Every nut and bolt was removed / cleaned and replaced / refinished. Most parts sourced from Germany. Restoration took 2 1/2 years. ( I did not do the restoration personally )

Detail on the car:

1979 Golf Gti - German Import
Inari Silver - yes it looks green but that is what VW Called it
1.6 Heron Motor - 110hp - Complete rebuild
330,000 Kilometers on the Original Cluster - 1000 miles on the car since complete restoration
13x6 steel Wheels with new TIRES - full size spare as well.

Body: Shell stripped to bare metal and sprayed with Sikkens base coat/clear coat. Color is Inari Silver metallic. 1979 was the first year that Inari Silver metallic was offered as a GTI color in Germany.

Engine: Original "EG" code, 110 hp 1.6 liter (date coded May 10, 1979), completely rebuilt. New pistons (+.050 mm), new crank, bearings, oil pump, etc. Complete new old stock (not rebuilt) heron head and "G" grind cam. External thermostatic oil cooler and euro fuel distributor.

Exhaust: Large flange GTI dual outlet manifold and matching long dual down pipe. The remainder of the system is an OEM style GTI system with a center resonator.

Transmission: 4K close ratio 5 speed with 0.75 fifth gear. New bearings and seals. (May 1979 was the last of the 4 speed cars. Short Shifter is also installed. All shift linkage bushings replaced.

All of the other mechanical systems, chassis, suspension, brakes, cooling and electrical have been refurbished and parts replaced with OEM type components (Sachs, Boge, Meyle, etc.).

Interior: Correct tartan seat fabric from Germany. Molded plastic dash, 220 kph speedometer and seldom seen in-dash vacuum gauge. Rear shoulder belts and center lap belt.

There are 3 options - a sunroof, the in-dash vacuum gauge, and a Blaupunkt M-U-ARI radio.( I installed FM Modulator so i can plug in my Iphone ) Also included is the German owner's manual, 1979 sales brochure, price list, and the German "bildkatalog" for the 79/80 Golf.

I have some extra stuff I have bought for the car but not installed like Rear Golf Gti speaker trays , front cabriolet style door / speaker pockets and other misc stuff sitting in my garage that will be sold with the car.

I also have a few sets of Old School Aftermarket Wheels - available to buyer at additional cost

I also have Photobucket links to pictures of the car during its restoration..  Also have PDF of Hemmings Sport Article which is linked above - also have Copy of The Magazine which is included.

This car is 31 years old - even thought it went through a restoration some minor flaws still remain -

The Headliner is original and has a slight tear above driver seat.  The door panels are not original , they are from an Mk1 Jetta Coupe and have chrome trim which is not original to the car.  The rear bottom seat is from a Cabriolet so its a tad bit smaller than the original Hatchback seat ( probably wouldnt notice unless i told you )  The oil Temp gauge has been converted to read water temp.  The Original Cluster is in working order but its noisey as you are driving - I think there is an extra one in a box some where.   I just recently replaced the front calipers with American Style Calipers / pads to clear Aftermarket wheels. Original calipers are also included with the sale.

Terms:

Car is sold as is where is Lincoln NE 68502

Shipping available and to be arranged by buyer at buyers expense. Or fly in and drive it home - No hestiation from me to drive it to Canada and back, then back to Canada.  ( i do NOT have time to deliver the car or meet half way ) MUST BE PICKED UP HERE IN LINCOLN NEBRASKA. Deposit due with in 24 hours and car must be picked up with the quickness so I dont want to change my mind , again…

Reason for sale:

Dont have a good one really. Bought the car back in Febuary - had is shipped to me via Enclosed Trailer - Sat in the garage being driven very little due to weather -  I just lost interest I suppose.  I am thinking about buying an older Porsche 911 Convertible or Bmw M3 / M5. Or I might just pay off some Debt to make the Wife happy.

For your information:

Pictures - I am going to include a few pictures of the Zender Sports which i just installed last weekend. They are a very rare 1 peice wheel 15x7 Et33 4x100 with Brand new Bridgestone Pottenza tires.  They are NOT included with the auction - but available to the high bidder if desired for additional cost. Also have another set of Rare 15x7 Intra wheels that were completely refinished as well.

I have this car insured with Hagerty for $20,000 - it costs me $350 a year for full coverage ( I am 35 year old with good driving record )

Pics:

Photobucket account - all the wheels pictured are also for sale

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/vwsnaps/1979%20Gti/

With stock wheels

Here are restoration pictures

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u203/vwsnaps/1979%20Gti%20Resto%20-%20Pics/

Here is link to car featured in a magazine.

http://www.hemmings.com/hsx/stories/2010/02/01/hmn_tips2.html

ZEnder Sports for sale seperately - 15x7 ET34 with 3inch lip
Intra 15x7 wheels are for sale seperately

Once again located in USA - not sure how shipping across seas works but if you interested we can explore it.

Cory at Richmondphoto dot com  is my email address
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.