Skip navigation

VW GOLF CLIPPER Cabriolet 1.8 Manual, 1989 (G), Only 75,000 miles, NEW battery & brakes/tyres all round. FSH

Back to the top

VW GOLF CLIPPER Cabriolet 1.8 Manual, 1989 (G), Only 75,000 miles, NEW battery & brakes/tyres all round. FSH

- The car was first Registered on 5 August 1989 (G plate)
- Mileage is 75,530 miles (Genuine) – so averaging just over 3,000 per year
- NEW MOT to 6 April 2014
- MK1 Golf Owners Club Member – lapsed member of Club GTi
- Very good condition all-round – strong mechanicals (engine, gearbox and transmission), bodywork (very good overall condition with a really good shine after polishing. Believed no accidents – original supplying dealer Number Plates at front and rear of the car) and interior (very good clean original condition)
- Approx £700 spent in the last 12 months (Receipts held – see later). New tyres and brakes all-round, recent service and brand new battery
- Very good Service History complete with VW Service pack, stamped service book, loads of service receipts, previous MOT Certificates, low number of previous owners and 2 sets of keys
- V5 held and recorded at my home address (where you will view/collect the car)
“VW” related Registration Number could be worth up to £500 (VWC = Volkswagen Cabriolet/Clipper!)

In my 13 months of ownership, I have only done just over 1,200 miles (this is a garaged 3rd car in my family and is insured on a very low mileage "Sureterm" classic policy – only £80 though!). There has not been much sunshine since I bought it! Genuine reason for sale.

So here is a more detailed summary of some of the work carried out just before/after my ownership (including a more high level summary of some of the service documentation/paperwork that also comes with the car). Approx £700 spent in the last 12 months (Receipts held):

- NEW spark plugs, ignition leads and rotor arm at 74,103 miles (Receipt held). £110
- NEW Brake Cylinders, Brake Shoes and Brake Fluid at 74,315 miles. Receipt held. Work done by Kwik-Fit, Horsham. Over £200
- Oil Service (Castrol Magnatec 10W40) and NEW Oil Filter at 74,319 miles (Receipt held). Work done by National Tyres, Horsham
- FULL set of NEW TYRES (Firestone) at 74,319 miles (so just over 1,000 miles on these tyres). Receipt held. Work done by National Tyres, Horsham. Over £250
- NEW Battery bought from Euro Car Parts, Crawley on Saturday 30 March 2013 – 3 Year Guarantee (Receipt held)

OLDER SERVICE HISTORY

Here’s a summary of some of the service documentation/paperwork that comes with the car:

- The stamped VW Service Schedule Book – showing:
The car was supplied new on 5 August 1989 by VW/Audi franchised dealers Grange Motors, Brentwood (the car still has the original Grange Motors Number Plates at both the front - cracked - and rear of the vehicle). I am told that the VW related Registration Number could be worth up to £500  (VWC = Volkswagen Cabriolet/Clipper) - please make your own enquiries
- Optional extras codes EX, LY5V, AEN and CM as per the Dealer stamp in the Service Book
- Stamps in the Service Book. Some of the later Services I have receipts for but the Service Book was not stamped. I probably have 10-12 Service receipts where there are no corresponding stamps in the Service Book.The plastic/vinyl VAG Service folder – including the following booklets:
- VW Service Schedule Book (as detailed above)
- Golf Convertible Instruction Manual
- Authorised VW/Audi Dealers in the United Kingdom
- VW/Audi Service – listing addresses and telephone numbers of over 8,800 VAG service facilities in Europe (including country maps)
- VW Extended Warranty booklet
- ALL previous MOT Certificates (except maybe 1 or 2 over the years)
- A number of Service receipts from independent garages (over 10-12 in total) and the likes of Kwik-Fit and the AA, and VW franchised dealers (including Maryan Brading, Southend, Westmoreland Garage, Bromley and Autobahn Volkswagen, Beckenham)
- A bill of sale from “The Volvo Centre”, Wickham Road, Shirley for £6,100 in September 1996 (at 47,000 miles)
- HPI Report
- Earlier Ownership - I have copies of V5s: The chap that I bought the car from (a "Celebrity" actor/singer) had owned the car for over 4 years - he had purchased the car from a lady that he knew (Mrs ML Hinton - who he described as a life-long family friend) and she owned the car from 3 May 2001 (so over 7 years). She bought the car from Mr MA Severini and he bought it on 13 September 1996 (so over 5 years). Mr Severini bought the car from "The Volvo Centre" in Shirley, near Croydon and paid £6,100 (as noted above) - the name on the logbook at the time was Mrs JK Hughes and she acquired the car on 4 April 1990 (so over 6 years). Mrs Hughes bought the car when it was only 7 months old so I am assuming that she bought it from the supplying dealer who had registered the car in their name (possibly as a demonstrator). Good to see some long periods of ownership - hence only 5 previous owners for a 24 year old car.

FUTURE WORK REQUIRED (I will gladly send photos of any of these items on request):

- I keep the car in a locked garage – however, if you don’t have a garage and/or intend to drive the car in the rain, then you will want to consider a replacement roof at some point in the future. The roof does not have any rips or long tears and is generally in good, clean condition but the vinyl is “split” (approx 1-2 inches each side) on the edge of the fold (probably through lack of usage over the years – I am pretty sure this is the original hood). Obviously, your choice if you want to get this done – I have had a written quote for £300 for a completely new vinyl hood (Mohair will be £150+ more expensive of course) if you felt that you needed to ensure this was completely waterproof. Or you may be able to get it repaired? I am happy to send you photographs of the “splits” if required. Perfectly usable as is though.

- Approx £100-£150 worth of "niggles" to put right over time - as per the April 2013 MOT Advisories. Nothing immediate and obviously if any of these were significant, then the car would not have passed its MOT.

- Ideally, the front nearside plastic wheel arch trim (crazed) and the rear bumper (light grazes) could do with a respray. Otherwise, the bodywork is in great condition.

In summary, this is a great car – much money has been spent on this car over the last 13 months by me and by previous owners. It’s clear that this has been a well looked after and cherished car. Any inspection is positively welcome – the car can be viewed in Billingshurst, West Sussex – in between Guildford and Horsham (close to the A24 and A29, approx 15 miles south of Gatwick and 45 minutes from Junction 8/9 of the M25). Junctions of the M23 and A3 are also close-by.

£1,895 OVNO

Please call 01403 782743 to arrange a viewing (Billingshurst, West Sussex)

Last edit: by batchworthgroup

Back to the top
As per the forum rules please add a price.

Cheers,
Ade

Banner

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.