Skip navigation

Series 1 1980 Golf 5 door, 2.0 litre 16v. (Now on eBay)

Back to the top

Series 1 1980 Golf 5 door, 2.0 litre 16v. (Now on eBay)

Golf L 5 door Tintop

NOW LISTED ON EBAY

2.0 Litre ABF 16v and 5 speed manual gearbox.

76000 miles
£3000 (but open to offers, I want it to go to a new home)
Lincolnshire (LN8 postcode)
Mob 07702094187

Pics:
http://s1005.photobucket.com/albums/af173/KurtBarker/

Taxed till end Feb, MoT till Sept

So I guess you're looking at this advert because you like the look of something a little different, a little retro or dare I say classic? I'm not going to go down the route of saying this car is rare, as Volkswagen built thousands of them, but not like this one! This car is modified from its humble origins though it looks largely standard. So what was it?

Built and registered in 1980, this is one of the last Series 1, Mk 1 Golfs. Series one cars can be identified by their small rear lamps, plastic dashboard, and numerous other detail changes. This car was until early 2010 a 1.1 'L' which was the base spec model. It had covered a recorded 72,000 miles on its small engine and 4 speed gearbox. It was so basic it had no brake servo (a good thing for pedal feel) and not even a clock in place of a rev counter!

In the last 12 months, there have been a few changes and in no particular order they are:

Outside:
New Hella Headlamps and H4 Bulbs.
New Bumpers front and rear.
All correct body trim pieces sourced and fitted.
Mk2 Steel wheels and new Fulda 195/45x14 tyres.
Jamex '-60mm' Suspension.
GTI rear anti roll bar and beam.
All new brake system (pads, discs, drums, shoes and brake lines).
New fuel pipes.
New electric fuel pump.
All locks and ignition match the one key!
Waxoyled in November before the bad weather came.
New Standard GTI Exhaust.

Inside:
Undamaged Golf GX seats (No bolster wear or sagging).
Black undamaged door cards.
Undamaged headliner.
Undamaged Early dash, with no centre console (as standard).
No Stereo headunit or blanking plate.
Undamaged glovebox lid.
Wolfsburg GTI steering wheel.
A handbrake that is fully on with one notch (no stretched cables here).
Unholed and perfect rear parcel shelf.
It ALL WORKS (wipers front and rear, washers, Heated rear screen, foglamp, reverse lamp, Heater blower)!

Under the bonnet:
2.0 16v ABF engine from a Mk3 Golf GTI, originally producing 150bhp, mileage 125,000 at fitment, CORRECTLY REGISTERED ON V5 DOCUMENT.
5 speed cable change gearbox from the same car.
K&N cone filter.
Servoless brake system (you've gotta push the pedal hard, but the feel is amazing)
Ashley manifold wrapped in heat proof wrap.

Put simply, I've spent a fortune on it to satisfy my retrospective fever (mid life crisis?!), and I knew I'd never recoup my money. So why am I selling it? My wife isn't a fan of driving it (too heavy, too harsh for her) and as it doesn't have a huge amount of crash protection (in comparison with a modern car) she's not a fan of putting our daughter in it. Whoever buys this car will get a really good deal as it's cost me over £6.5K to get it this far! I've since bought a more modern car so it's cash only please.

This has been my daily drive for a year or so and is great fun on twisty a roads or faster straighter ones and is genuinely Focus ST quick (he looked so shocked!), but it now sits in my garage keeping dry. MoT is Due in October11 and Tax at the end of February11. It never fails to draw attention on a drive and not because its loud and obnoxious, but because its so different to a modern car.

I'm after as near to £3000 as I can get for it, but will be open to offers. Come and see it, make me an offer and drive it away. Located in LINCOLNSHIRE LN8 postcode. If you're a interested and can afford to have some retro fun please call me on 07702 094187.

Looking for a series1 passenger side under dash shelf and fittings.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.