Skip navigation

NOW SOLD - 1993 Mk1 Clipper Cabriolet

Back to the top

Well maintained, 12m MOT, resprayed and with a new hood - it's car to buy and drive

Model: Clipper Cabriolet
Spec/Trim option: Clipper
Year of manufacture: 1993
Mileage: 87637 - see description below
Price: £8750
Contact details: 07590265266
Service history: All recent with cambelt service 600 miles ago, new hood and 2000 miles since respray
Mot expiry Date: May 2024
Taxed or sorn: Taxed

2. front.jpeg 3. front and bonnet.jpeg 4. OS side view.jpeg 7. Rear NS.jpeg 11. Interior.jpeg 12. Interior rear.jpeg 13.Underbonnet.jpeg

Description:
It is time to sell my 1993 Golf Mark 1 Clipper Cabriolet. I spent the end of 2020 and early in 2021 looking (after a lot of online browsing during lockdown) and bought the car in mid-May 2021 from North Wales. I have used the car very little to be honest as we had other cars and it’s time to find a new owner who’ll get more use from this well maintained and cosmetically sorted from the last year of Mark 1 Golf cabrio production.

The car is based in South Cheshire not far from J16 of the M6. Please ask if you would like a link to a comprehensive gallery of 50+ photos or want to take a look.

I am asking £8750.

KEY FACTS
My Volkswagen Golf Mk1 Clipper Cabriolet is a very well maintained and solid example finished in Paprika red with a comprehensive history of mechanical and cosmetic refurbishment and servicing. MOTs demonstrate its mileage has been less than 500 miles per year for the past 15 years (and an embarrassing 17 miles since 2022 as it's been on SORN). However, pre-2006 I have no MOT records for the car and I have found out there is a discrepancy in the mileage history with the vehicle failing and subsequently passing its MOT in 2006 but with 100,000 miles less both at the same test centre. This could mean the current mileage of 87637 is actually 187,637. This is not relfected in its condition but is essential to point out as this is reflected in the MOT online datab ase.

The car has a good paint finish having been professionally resprayed by the previous owner and who had the car for 7 years. There are a few light marks of use on the paint but overall it shows very well.  The hood was also replaced by Car Hoods Northern Ltd with a new black fabric cover – an older replacement that

EQUIPMENT AND FEATURES
Full Clipper specification including: electrically operated cloth roof, electric windows, body kit, twin headlamps and rear foglamp, sports seats in “Pepita” cloth and sports steering wheel. The car has black/polished 14-inch ‘Snowflake’ alloy wheels and had had new tyres fitted this week as the previous tyres were well past the recommended use-until date.

An aftermarket radio / CD has been fitted and in addition a single DIN cubby is included that can be used to replace the radio if this is desired. The car has no modifications except clipper badge deletion and charcoal/black badges fitted after the respray. The car comes with a complete original owner’s handbooks plus a collection of service and maintenance invoices and MOT test certificates back to 2006.

CONDITION
There is no damage on the resprayed bodywork. All exterior trim is present. Badges front and rear are black and the Clipper badging has been removed, I assume when it was repainted. The car was used a second car by its last three owners and thoroughly maintained and updated during her ownership. It has been garaged with a dehumidifier throughout my ownership.

Inside, the cabin the carpet is in good condition given the car’s age and has been covered by VW rubber mats (included). The seat cushions and fabric are in good condition but with some discolouration and fading in places. There are two repaited holes – presumably cigarette burns from the shape and size – in the rear seats. These are not too noticeable. The trim is all well fitted.

The car’s soft-top roof is in very good condition with no noticeable discolouration. It was replaced by a previous owner. The hood cover is present and fits well. The rear window is in excellent condition. The roof has been folded at some time without the cover so there is some staining on the headlining which is common on these models.
There are no warning lights showing on the dashboard. The only electrical issue is the digital clock is no longer showing – a known issue on Mark 1 Golfs and one that can be fixed with a reconditioned unit.

The car passed its latest MOT last week with only minor adjustment to pass emissions largely due to having been driven so little.

SERVICE HISTORY
There are invoices for work on the Golf throughout it’s life but not a complete service history, largely because of the low mileage and months of SORN. These show that it was very well looked after, particularly from its time as a second/”classic” car with limited summer use. Most recently it had a full service less than 600 miles ago including a cambelt change and a replacement fuel tank and all associated pipework – both due to corrosion. The MOT is due in mid-May 2024.

K156NGJ MOT Service-page-001.jpeg

SUMMARY
My Golf Mk1 Clipper Cabriolet is a good example which sits in the middle of the cars needing work and fully restored or concours original cars for £12k++. It has been used very sparingly in the past few years as a summer classic but has been maintained and cosmetically updated over the past 10 years. I have owned it for a little over two years but it was driven rarely as my wife had some health issues that meant travelling in the car wasn’t ideal. The car has been on a SORN for most of 2022 and 2023 and has averaged only 500 miles per year in the past 15 years.

There are only a few cosmetic items on the interior that could be addressed to make this an outstanding example of the last year of Mk1 production. It’s a car to enjoy on bright days with the roof down. A current classic with enormous future potential. The car comes with a red indoor cover and history file.

Last edit: by Astonandy

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.