Skip navigation

1987 Cabby For Sale - Devon £900. MOT'd May 2011

Back to the top

1987 Cabby For Sale - Devon £900. MOT'd May 2011

BUMPED - This car now has 12 months MOT - Any new takers?

OK, so it's finally come to it!  The Golf has finally been deemed too impractical for freighting Little Jnr (15months) around.  At least he's has his formative months being initiated into the VW world!  So, here she is up for sale (car, not wife!).  I'm looking for around £900

Firstly, the good bits:
1987 Silver/grey 1.8 Golf GTI Cabriolet.  Owned for 3 years and used daily as the wife's car to and from work (about 30miles round trip).  Never been a problem to start, run etc in normal circumstances.
Head gasket went about 2 years ago (15,000 miles?).  Complete top end rebuild, new tappets etc.  Had problems with smooth running, but that was ironed out eventually about 4 months ago when I found that one of the new tappets was faulty and timing was out by 1 tooth.  On the way to this discovery it had new oil, oil cooler and oil pump.  Once that was put right it ran, and has been running since, an ABSOLUTE dream.  See some of my posts on this forum for the story!

New battery last year.  New tyres about the same time. I have a new heater blower if you want, as this was running noisily.  However, since I have bought the new one, it has been quiet ever since!

MOT'd until May 2011.  Taxed till then if you want it, otherwise it's being cashed in at the end of the month

Now for the not so good bits:
There is a rip in the bottom of the hood where the main hinge point is.  The roof does do the classic leak above the drivers seat at the a-pillar joint.  I have tried silicon which seemed to work OK for a while, and then replaced the foam gasket with a genuine new part.  Still leaks mind.
The rear rip seems to allow water in when parked on a steep downhill when it pi$$es down, but other than that, seems OK.

So, there you have it.  I've been as honest as I can about the condition as a) I don't want to waste anyone's time and b) I believe in Karma(nn).

If you are interested at all, contact me and I'll send you photos/more information.  It would be nice for it to go to a good home and give the fun and enjoyment it has given to us to someone else!

Based in East Devon

Jim
07967 998939
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.