Skip navigation

1985 MK1 Cabby, red, ?400 ONO

Back to the top

1985 MK1 Cabby, red, ?400 ONO

All good things must come to an end  :cry: . My B-reg MK1 Golf GTI Cabriolet is for sale, for ?400 or nearest offer, for collection from Royston area on Cambs/Herts border fromweekend of 28-29th March.

Legal stuff:

MOT to 9th May 09
Tax to 30th April 09
V5 available

Good stuff:

Recent:

• Battery, oil, oil filter, cambelt, lower cambelt cover, fan belt, camshaft oil seal and engine top cover gasket replaced at the beginning of March.
  • Headlight wiring modified and new high-output bulbs fitted to actually give some light on dipped beam, as per instructions on this and other MK1 Golf websites.

Older:

• New vinyl roof in last 18 months.
  • New water pump, new radiator, new pattern front bumper and indicators, new air filter, new front and rear wheel bearings, new shock (drivers side I think), new fuel filter, in last three years.
  • Head gasket replaced three years ago - including head skim, new inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets, new valve seals, various new hoses.
  • structurally sound - no rusting on sills or boot floor
  • Plenty of life left in tyres

Bad stuff

• exhaust seems to be blowing slightly - sounds fruity but not excessive
  • Tear in headliner - doesn't affect operation of roof
  • Some rust patches but no holes, particularly around rear drivers side wheel arch
  • Evidence of a minor front passenger side front end prang while with a previous owner - small patch of bonnet resprayed almost the right colour, otherwise not noticeable unless you pop the hood and look closely
  • Small dents on front LHS wing, and rear RHS panel above/in front of rear wheel.
  • Paintwork needs a thorough t-cutting, but otherwise unmolested.
  • Coolant needs topping up once a month - probably a leak around one of the hoses that were not replaced :roll:
  • Exhaust heat shield rattles

The car has been a reliable daily driver and baby transporter for the last nine months, is reasonably fuel efficient (for a 1.8 litre hot hatch), is a rewarding drive, and still capable of showing a clean pair of heels to more modern pretenders.

Selling to make room for a boring family car….siiiigh.

Extras - The car comes with a dazzling array of spare stuff and..other stuff, including;

• Aftermarket front foglights - these are fitted between the front lower spoiler and bumper, and designed to fit flush against bodywork - no instructions but not rocket science to fit these.
  • Brown MK1 Golf Haynes Manual, Red MK2 Golf Haynes Manual, French manual from 1974 (for linguists) which has more exploded views than even haynes!
  • Spare rear light clusters
  • Spare dash components (never did get that MFA working 100%)
- Set of new gearchange linkage bushes (minus the two I've already fitted that have improved matters considerably)

This car can be driven away, and is available to view during the weekend of 28-29th March.

Please either reply, email or call me on 07867 794214 if you're interested. Cash on collection, no time wasters please. This is a 24 year old car that has been driven throughout its life - it will not win any concours prizes in its current state, but if you're after a reliable driver, or the basis for a concours winner, this is the one!

I can post pictures if asked nicely.

AlistairT AKA AliCabrio  :D

Mars Red 1.8 GTi Cabrio 1985
Seat Covers
Scratches
Leaky roof
1 million smiles per hour
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.