1983 mk1 1.8 gti Mars Red - SOLD

Back to the top

1983 mk1 1.8 gti Mars Red - SOLD

Model: 3dr tintop

Spec/Trim option: 1.8 Gti

Year of manfacture: 1983
Mileage: 148,073
Price: £950 or nearest offer
Location: North London / South Herts border (near A1/M25 junction)
Contact details: SOLD!
Condition: V.Good  - apart from driver's door and some little rust on the rear arches
Service history: Full
Mot expiry Date: none
Taxed or sorn: sorn

Description:  

The time has come for me to part with something very sentimentally dear to me but unfortunately I no longer have the location to store my beloved mk 1 golf 1.8 gti in mars red and would like her to go to an enthusiastic and caring owner.

I put this ad up first time last week and the car was sold v.quick and the guy paid deposit, but the work area he was going to have my golf transported to wasnt available so instead of waiting a couple of months I preferred to cancel the sale and re-list it.

History:
I have owned her for 13 years and previous owner had it in the family for 12 years.  I drove her daily until late 2001 when I went back to uni.  She was stored outside under a breathable waterproof cover for many years.  I made sure I started and drove her once a year for the first 3-4 years but after that didn't manage to do so.  She is only 148k miles old and a great opportunity for someone who has been waiting for a solid, honest original mk1 gti.

2 years ago I wanted to start using her again and after some preparation she started up ok so she is in mechanically sound condition.  However, cosmetically I found that one door had the skin/membrane sealed at the bottom where the water should escape and this had caused some water to build up (perhaps through condensation or a tear in the cover ) and as a result the driver's side door had some surface rust.  (My own fault as I used someone new to fit the new door membrane back then and the moron sealed the bottom of it).

The rest of the car is in cracking condition as you can see from the pictures, the car is totally rust free apart from the driver's door mentioned and some little rust on the rear arches which is the worst (see pics) but really nothing to worry about.  I decided to take the opportunity to do a complete project on her and I started stripping her down, very carefully and meticulously documenting and labelling every piece of trim.  Unfortunately, it just got too hard to do it all on my own and outdoors (with unpredictable weather) that I didn't finish it over the course of the summer.  Everything is there, in great condition, just needs putting back together.  I always planned to come back to her, but now I am moving away in a couple of months and wont be able to store her any longer.

In the time I had her I had many things done/replaced, fuel metering head, fuel filler neck, gear linkages, injectors whatever was needed. must've spent somewhere in the region of £1800 in 2-3 years I had her before storing away, she wanted for nothing.

She is completely original apart from a sebring exhaust.

Also, the last year she was on the road, I spent many hours on the underbody as I found the (somewhat expected) under-sill rust and she is in terrific condition down there too and will remain so for many years.

Take a look at the pictures, I have laid out and photographed all the accessories and bits.  They are all individually labelled.  Each ending on things like the wiring has all been labelled as you would imagine in a well-managed project.  Just needs a clean, putting back together, and the driver-side door taken care of.

Comes with two parcel shelves (one with 6x9 cutouts and one original).  Have a spare set of door cards and a spare set of rear light clusters which also could be thrown in as part of the deal.  Also comes with Haynes manual and restoration manual.

Feel free to contact for anything! Including arranging viewings.

Link to album of pics: Photo and Video Storage | Photobucket

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.