Skip navigation

1982 Silver GTI Project for sale

Back to the top

1982 Silver GTI Project for sale

For sale: Mk1 GTI, series 2, 1982, X registration. Originally silver, and mostly restored - all up to the sunroof, and then I ran out of steam. The underneath is perfect, engine bay painted, as are the insides of the arches. The body needs preparing for paint, and then painting… once you've repaired a small section at the front of the sunroof tray. Its a great shell, would make a fantastic base for a rebuild.  The arches have been done, everything underneath is in shiny silver over stonechip over etch primer. Its amazing.

It comes with:
Brand new tailgate
Bonnet
Doors (one needed reskinning, which has been done)
All the glass
Brand new petrol tank ? finished in stonechip and painted so it won't rust again
Brand new plastic bumpers
More seals, rubbers, grommets, etc than you would believe ? I have a new one of everything, I think.
Full interior ? although the seats have seen better days. The dash is still in, as are all the instruments and the wiring loom.
The lights and indicators are all there

Suspension
Fully adjustable and brand new AVO coilovers from Venom
Poly bushes all round
Everything has been powder-coated or zinc passivated, so it looks better than new
All new steering rack, rod ends, ball joints, gaiters, nuts and bolts, CV joints, wheel bearings
There are actually two sets of hubs/uprights and driveshafts ? one standard set, one modified for running G60 280mm brakes.

Brakes
Everything has been refurbished, but I haven't put the front callipers back together yet.
Also, you'll want new brake lines ? but I even have a set of the little rubbers that hold them

Wheels
Set of four 6.5 * 15 OZ Superleggeras with 195/50/R15 Yokohamas ? brand new
Set of four original GTI nine spoke alloys with rubbish tyres
Set of five 6 * 14 Ronal alloys (Audi) with Falken tyres

Engine
This is where more money has been spent than I care to remember.
KR 16 valve engine, in bits, but?
Fully remachined by RPM in South London/Dartford
Crankshaft lightened and balanced, likewise flywheel, rods
Block rebored and new forged (if I remember correctly) pistons. Top quality.
All new bearings, repainted, flushed, new core plugs, etc, etc
I'm sure I've got all the ancilliaries
The head needs new guides pressed in and a skim (although I have the guides), and the valve seats tidied up ? although I was going to fit larger valves myself.
It was designed to produce 200bhp, which would require 274 period cams (Piper, probably) but I didn't get that far.
New exhaust manifold for Mk1 installation

I'm sure I've forgotten loads of stuff.

I will break the car? Assuming I can get rid of the shell.  I really don't know how much this is worth ? although in little pieces around my house, its not worth anything. The big, new items I have receipts for ? wheels, engine work, suspension, etc.

Phone me if you want to get more details on 07803 503 402. I'm on the Pennines, between Manchester and Leeds.

Greg

Back to the top
Any chance I could come and take a look at the parts if you break this.

Thanks,

Daniel

Back to the top
Sure, I will break the car if I don't get a buyer for the whole. At the moment, though, I'm looking for a keen new owner for the shell.

I'm open to offers on any or all of the above, and in response to the calls/requests for prices, I'll try to put a ball-park figure together. On the other hand, you could try me with an offer - the worst I can say is no!

Cheers all
Greg

Back to the top
OK, I'll put some indicative prices against stuff to give you some ideas…

Shell, including new tailgate, doors, new tank, new bumpers, glass and interior, lights and loom - ?400. I must have spent ?3,000 on this alone, excluding the cost of the car.

Suspension, including new AVO coil-overs, poly-bushes, powder-coated rear beam, wishbones, roll bars, new rack, new brakes (rebuilt front calipers), uprights, hubs, driveshafts,etc - ?500.

Wheels - OZ Superleggeras ?400 (cost me ?550, but they are brand new), original 9 spokes ?80? 14 inch Ronals ?120?

Engine
1800 KR engine, fully lightened, balanced, rebored, new pistons, gas-flowed head (needs skimming and guides fitted to finish), etc ?500. The pistons alone were nearly that…

I will split any or all of this stuff, but I do need to shift the shell within a few weeks, and if it doesn't sell, it'll be angle-grinder time, which is a huge shame. Let the offers roll in!

Greg

Back to the top
how much for the whole car?

Back to the top
Sorry guys - I did my adding up wrong! Its now much cheaper…

Offers in the region of ?900 for just a rolling shell (including wheels, suspension, brakes, panels, glass, etc, etc), ?1,200 for the engine too (in fact, everything except the OZ wheels) or ?1,600 for everything.

Lots of interest, but no-one has closed the deal yet! Make me a tempting offer…  :wink:

Greg

Back to the top

Engine

Any chance you will send the engine as am on the lookout for a 1.8 16v

Back to the top
Thanks for all the interest, but Dan has closed the deal, and bought the whole lot. Its going straight to the bodyshop to have the sunroof fixed and the spraywork, hopefully Dan will have it on the road early next year.

Cheers

Greg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.