1.8 16v Conversion
Year of manfacture: 1981
Mileage: Car 156K, Engine 130K
Price: 2500
Contact details: phillip.sanderson@hotmail.co.uk, 07713476898
Condition: Very Good
Mot expiry Date: 6/4/12
Taxed or sorn: Taxed Until Sept 2011

Description: I'm selling my beloved Mk1 Golf GTI. I've owned the car for just over 1 year now. The car is currently used daily and will be until sold.
The car is a 16V conversion. It has a 1.8 16V KR engine (known to be one of VW's best engines), 16V disc brake/servo conversion (discs all round) and AP coil over suspension. The suspension height is adjustable and gives it a very hard ride but great handling. It has a full stainless steel exhaust that sounds great. The car is fitted with VW Corrado G60 alloy wheels all in excellent condition.
When the car was converted it had the fuel tank washed out and a new filler neck (commonly rusted). It also had a new steering rack.
It has proved to be a very reliable car only letting me down with minor faults such as a split water pipe and dirty connections on the distributer cap. The great thing about this car/engine is that you can do most of the work yourself unlike modern cars and being a Mk2 engine the parts are still easily available. I don't hesitate to use it for long journeys as well as my daily commute.
The interior is great condition for its age. Obviously a few marks and faded parts but overall it is in excellent condition. It has had a brand new head lining too.
The bodywork overall is in great condition and polishes up into a stunning looking car. There are a few spots that will need a little attention this summer along with a couple of bubbles on one rear wheel arch and a bit of rust developing on the tailgate. Although the speedo reads 156k the engine has only covered approx 130k.

Points that need attention.
Missing Parcel shelf
Speedo Noise - The speedo makes an intermittent squealing /whirring noise. There is no rhyme nor reason for when it starts and stops but does not occur very often. A second hand binicle (approx £45 from ebay) should sort this problem
1st and 2nd Gear stiff to engage.  A common problem in MK1's caused by a worn gear linkage, apparently an easily fixed problem I just haven't had the time to sort it myself.
Black underseal patches on lower body work where welded in the past (need to be stipped back and painted).
No speakers - I currently have 1 6x9 sat in the passenger foot well but you would need to fit speakers in the front and rear. Again I've just not had the time to sort this!
Rev counter has not been wired in since the conversion although the wires have been located.  

Good Points
1 year MOT and 6 months tax.
Good all round practical classic.
Very Reliable, used daily
New fuse board (normally corroded causing lots of electrical issues)
KR engine (bullet proof and parts easy to get hold of)
New steering rack and fuel filler neck.
Up-rated brakes, suspension and exhaust.
Fuel pump only 1 year old.
Simple servicing: air fuel and oil filter, spark plugs and leads, distributer cap and rotor arm ( Just had a oil and air filter service)
Great Condition throughout.
The car will also be supplied with a Thule roof bar kit and both Haynes manuals for the car and the engine and a JVC head unit CD player (fitted)
 2 nearly new tyres on the front.
Over all this is a fantastic practical Mk1 GTI that any VW fan would appreciate. You can use it daily whilst spending time bringing her back to perfection!

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.