Skip navigation

1981 Mk1 Golf GL - Old Family Friend

Back to the top

1981 Mk1 Golf GL - Old Family Friend

For sale on ebay under

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290161513864

Closing SUnday Evening 23 September

where you will also find fotos.  Not perfect but good for its year and owned by our family for the past 22 years.
 Our old family friend needs a new home.  We have owned this car for the past 22 years, including one year where it was loaned and registered to a family friend, and it has been a faithful motor but is now old in the tooth, surplus to requirements and needs new owner.  With strong arms would be good as there is no power steering - lol.   All mod cons though - air conditioning - open the windows, central locking - driver passes the key around. Sound system - the engine.  Cruise control - wedge your leg under the door window winder, alarm - no need it's too old.  Parking sensors - Mk1 Eyeball,  anti theft device - automatic choke,    It has working headlamp washers too and a stick to prop open the rear hatch a the strut has lost its pressure on cold days at least.  What more could you want in a car.

But seriously the car is solid and has never been welded. It had new springs a couple of years back, Two new tyres for the MOT last time.

The current MOT expires in December but I will update this I hope Monday, along with photographs, as I am putting it through an MOT and expect to sell it with a new MOT then.

The paintwork is passable, some rust spots on the offside being the main blemishes and the lacquer has come off the near side wing which was replaced after a minor accident some 15 years ago.  The fuel system flexible hoses have been replumbed and the fluids regularly changed including the transmission. The engine is well in tune and surprises the MOT testers with its low for the age emissions.  The transmission shifts etc. as it should. The drivers seat cover is worn and the rear seat cover is split on top.  The hub caps are somewhere in London where they were stolen !

The car goes well - I have driven it up and down to London from Glasgow a few times and would I am sure do someone a turn as a runabout.  Maybe suitable for rebuild or as a donor for a rebuild or even double your money breaking it for spares (I won't tell my Mum)

More news tomorrow - Monday 17th

Mon 17th - MOT - Based on a quick assessment and not part of any contract it looks as though the steel brake pipes will need replacing (they are the originals !)  for the MOT plus the sidelights have stopped working.  I have no time to do this work and so have held off the ful MOT and instead the car is for sale as is.  I would recommend that to keep an old lady like this happy it would be advisable if you were handy with the spanners etc. and so replacing the brake pipes should not cause a problem. The sidelights - not sure maybe just being temperamental as at this age you can imagine.

Forgot to add that the speedo cable is broken (in 2006 at 68,000 miles) and so the 70k is an estimate.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.