Skip navigation

a lake in my 1980 īvert why?

Back to the top

a lake in my 1980 īvert why?

Hi all
robert from a Sweden under 1 meter of snow…"yes my īvert is indoors.. :D "
anyhow.. the car is just purchased and during a check up i noticed the carper was moist..
checked under the insulation " a thick felt" and the floor was covoered in water..
after removing everything i noticed that fortunally it was no rust at all ! so these can only been for a short while..
the former owner says he havent used the car for a while and just been outside parked last half year or so
the summer if we can call it for that was very rainy..
but it doesnt seems to have come from above because the seat where dry and the side panels too..
maybe it came from around the hole where the steering column goes trough..
but the whole floor is wet , left and right side.. but notice.. not that much the gear tunnel in the middle..

am i on the right track here? any particular places that i can try to isolate better against water?

cheers
Robert

Back to the top
just spoked to a friend of mine working at the MOT here in Sweden
he told me that sometimes leaves os something similar blockes the channels situated under the grid behind the hood..
and the water then goes trough the heat package "sorry if i dont use the proper words.. hope you understand"
is that possible?
if so how can i clean the "channels" ?

Back to the top
Hi,
Open the bonnet look straight forward.
You will see where a long black seal seperates the engine bay from the scuttle tray.

The heater blower  motor cover comes up through there.
There should be a rain deflector tray that covers that bit.
Either end there is a rubber grommet, these are flanged but openable at the bottom. These allow water that deflects off the tray etc to run away. You can pop these up and clean them out.

Check around the rear window seal, the front window seal corners is a leak point.
Also make sure the drain holes in the door bottoms are clear.
Any water that comes past the outer scraper seals will sit in the door bottoms. There is also plastic membrane behind the door cards too.

Do you have water coming in dripping from around the Roof latching handled?

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
yupp !
fixed !
the rubber grommets where blocket by a ton of old leaves..
also around the heaters net where full of old leaves
i think i dug up a liter or so of those..
my guess is these is the first time someone have done it since the car was new..
as i told before the car have only 4 owners and only 170000 km, here in Sweden with all the long distance its very little
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.