Skip navigation

1990 Cabrio window problem

Back to the top

Got broken, replaced it, problem started

Hi,

I replaced the drivers side front window with a brand new piece of (remanufactured) glass not long ago because it got broken, the manual mechanism would wind the window up fine until it got to about an inch from the top and then decided it wanted to go no further like its being stopped by something all of a sudden.

I then replaced the window again with a piece of glass from a car which was being broken for parts - Same problem

Then I replaced the full mechanism inside the door with a good second hand one making double sure everything was done properly and all bolts in the right places - Same outcome.

I've looked for anything which could be causing the problem like the door popper/handle getting caught but I cant see anything at all and i'm posting this with my fingers crossed that somewhere, someone has had exactly the same problem and can tell me what the problem is and how to get around it

Oh.. even tried taking off the inner and outer scrapers/seals so the glass can move a bit more freely and it gets to the same point before "jamming"

Hints and tips would be massively appreciated.

Thanks
Matty

No Rice...

Back to the top
There is an adjustment bolt near the winder spindle behind the doorcard. It may need setting this allows the hight to be altered. Plus there are 2 further bolts under the door bottom to adjust the fore and aft movement, so it doesn't get caught in the guide rails.

"Making Cabbies More Beautiful One Roof at a Time" 

Back to the top
Thanks for the reply, i'll have a play around with those in the morning

Cheers!

No Rice...

Back to the top
yes it sounds like a bolt stopping the mechanism

Back to the top
I replaced my door scraper seals at the weekend and found that neither of my windows will go up the full way.  This is as a result of the new seals pushing the glass 'into' the car and the glass jams on the rubber on the B post, thus preventing the last few inches of movement.  

All I do is simply push the glass out a tad when it's going up and it works fine.  I assume that the seals will eventually give a little over time and now that they sit compressed 99% of the time, I hope it doesn't take too long.

Back to the top
there is a limit stop near the top of the door behind the door card, you loosen a bolt then adjust the fit in the slotted hole it sits in this adjusts how far the window can open

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.