Skip navigation

No revs above 0300rpm.

Back to the top

Very poor running car

Hi, this is my first post, and im no mechanic so please bear with me:

Basically just went for a New Years drive, warmed car up as usual, drove around for 1/2 hour, went for a blat up and down the bypass, and pretty quick round 2 rounabouts and 1/4 mile later hear a backfire noise, battery light comes on and i loose all revs. No smoke, overheating, Im not sure about the oil pressure as iv had issues with the light, but I have just had a new oil pump fitted as I had high oil pressure (90psi on tickover)

Car is starting first tim with no throttle as usual, but is ticking over at 0200rpm and will bearly reach 0300rpm.

Had to be towed back.

The AA guy said it sounds ok enginewise, he checked the dizzy cap/rotor arm, but was bemused.

Engine has covered 170k, oil is new, just had a new clutch.

I have had a few electrical issues recently also.

If anyone has any ideas of what to look for to at least diagnose the problem, any help would be apprecialted.

Great start to the new year….

Back to the top
My mechanic had a quick look today, and somehow the timing has gone out- we started the car and moved the distributor round until it was running ok, which did seem to fix the problem, but after starting it again the timing had also moved again. He said i may have snapped the drive gear off of the distributor!

Im not sure if im right to be, but i am a little worried as the same mechanic has just 2 weeks ago, replaced the oil pump (as I had high oil pressure due to a blocked relief valve), and im pretty sure? the distributor locates into/onto the rod that comes up from the oil pump, so am i right to be concerned that:
  1. my mechanic could be to blame as he may of fitted the oil pump incorrectly?
  2. I have done damage to my engine, if the oil pump was not functioning properly?

Also for my own info, what drives the distributor and oil pump? Iv had a look in the haynes but cannot find any diagrams of what drives the pump and dizzy, again any info would be much appreciated.

Not sure if the following is relevant, but ive also recently:
- had a new clutch, due to oil gearbox contamination
- New oil pump,filter, oil, and both oil pressure switches
- exhaust manifold gasket replaced
- I have also had a few electrical issues (blower fan seizing, oil light flashing contantly, water temp light intermittant flashing, but not overheating,.

Thanks

Back to the top
the oil pump and distributor are driven from the intermediate shaft, which is the middle timing belt sprocket on the engine. there is a roll pin which secures the dizzy drive gear to the shaft, maybe its that? but are you sure the dizzy was fully clamped down after adjustment, there is a big metal clamp holding the base with a bolt. if thats loose the dizzy could move

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Thanks for the info.

I have found my problem, i can safely say the problem is me!

I was looking at an invoice for a when i last had the cambelt done, found the one i was looking for and thought nothing of it.

My mechanic showed me my cambelt today, it was missing about 20 teeth!!!!, hence the timing changing and me starting to doubt my mechanic!

OOOppppss turns out the receipt i was looking at was for one of my other mk1s, and the cambelt hadnt been done since whenever/ if ever the last owner did it.

Cambelt now sorted and car running well again,  but i now have a near seized blower fan, exhaust blow is back, and dash illumination playing up, the joys of mk1's!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.