Skip navigation

High idle 1500 rpm - FIXED

Back to the top
Adjusted timing and pulling really well but idle very high, turned idle screw right in and no change (2nd idle screw with good o ring)when vac pipe from distributor is removed there is no change in idle, no suction from throttle body
needs mot by this weekend
thanks 

Last edit: by vdu8mod

Back to the top
You didn't mention if its a GTI or not and the website is too slow to go looking at your other posts etc!!! If its fuel injection, you can do a coarse idle adjustment on the throttle body too. Also, check if the AAV is stuck open (squeeze the tube once the engine has warmed up, it should have closed once warm, if it hasn't then the idle speed will drop when you squeeze it).

Back to the top
Sorry yes 1.8 GTI
The other idle adjustment is wound open so make no difference to the high idle 😔
Im going to try squeezing the pipe and see if that makes a difference
thanks

Back to the top
Doesn't make sense. If the "other" idle adjustment (do you mean the idle screw, or something else?) is wound open if WILL make a difference to the idle speed, if you closed it.

Did you mean its wound fully closed?

Back to the top
The idle screw at the back, pic2 makes no difference if screwed right in or fully open..
There is also the idle screw, pic 1 for the throttle cable and this is fully open image.jpg image.jpg

Back to the top
Now the damn thing starts up for a few secs and idle drops right down to almost nothing like a bad miss…
im getting the matches ready O_o

Back to the top
Its either just a case of finding the idle speed in between it not running at all; and 1500rpm, or the throttle butterfly it sticking or jamming somewhere so its not consistently closing to the idle position.

Or did it not idle at all when cold, but idle too high when warm? Did you check the AAV yet?

Back to the top
Hi Paul
I was about to check the AAV but now it just cranks and won't fire up..
The pump primes and the fuel pump relay is working but just swings and won't fire up
I did notice that while the fuel pump is priming, there is a clicking from somewhere in the front
What is going on, these cars supposed to be a simple fix 😔

Back to the top
If the only thing you've altered is the idle speed, then undo what you did or simply press your foot slightly on the throttle during starting.

If there's something else you've broken or knocked off in the meantime, eg a wire, pipe or battery is undercharged, fix that.

Back to the top
Battery new, I've checked over all pipes and wires in engine bay all fine..
I have been checking the fuse box today to sort the wiper issue but I can't see that causing it not to fire up, I'm going to remove throttle body tomorrow check everythings as it should be
Thanks a mil again
Will update ASAP, itching to drive the damn thing 👍

Back to the top
Get some carb cleaner and give the throttle body a good clean to see if that helps, you can see inside the throttle body by removing the plastic tubing but it's best to remove it to clean.
In your picture your idle screw seems really far out?
Idle screw should be in this far. Be carful with the gasket if removing the throttle body, I also used a little smear of blue hylmor when putting it all back together just to seal things up.

Nice a clean after a good blast of carb cleaner, I held the throttle wide open while cleaning things up as well as blasting with the throttle closed.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Hi I agree with mark the idle screw seems way out mine looks like marks.  Good luck.

Back to the top
Hi Mk1gls
That idle screw is off the g60 throttle body, I've tried 2 so far with good O rings, might just be a long screw but it does seal well…
Removing the throttle body, AAV so will update ASAP
Thanks for all the replies guys, hopefully this will be sorted

Back to the top

Marts v dub said

Hi I agree with mark the idle screw seems way out mine looks like marks.  Good luck.

Idle screw is a red herring, some replacement ones (which fit perfectly) are longer than others.

Back to the top
Finally checked out everything…
Checked over and tested AAV so that's working
Regarding the engine not starting and when it did sounded like a bad miss

When turned key to ign on there was multiple spark with out cranking, on rough idle checked plug lead 1 for spark and seemed OK..on part throttle no spark at all..fuel ok also checked injectors for even fine mist and that was good, fuel pump priming so no problem there..
Swopped over to another ignition module and freaking perfect start up and throttle great..the ign module broke down completely

Then decided to remove throttle body and make sure everything was as it should be, cleaned etc…Also decide to check the idle screw and even though the screw was all the way in, it stopped just short of sealing completely..changed to different screw with longer thread which sealed all the way in like what "mk1gls pic"
image.jpg

With throttle body back on adjusted timing, car started spot on and idle could now be adjusted on throttle body with correct idle screw 🙏
Took out for a drive and advanced distributor to getting pulling perfect…had to do it this way as the head has a tsr highlift cam
Adjusted idle again and I'm very happy..tick over is just below 1000 on rev counter..👍

With regards to washer and wipers there seemed to be an issue with large blue plug on fuse box, removed cleaned and tightened pins, so far has not come on during test run 😊

Can't thank you guys enough for a time, effort and advice offered…
You guys ROCK

Back to the top
Great news , glad you have got it sorted. I had the same thing happen to my car dropped it off for an mot it passed and as soon as I turned the 1st corner it started missing and back firing changed the ignition module and it was brand new again.   :thumbs:

Back to the top
Good to hear it's all sorted and running right.  :thumbs:

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Weird that the ignition module failed just at the same time as fiddling with idle speed, but good to hear you sussed it out and got to the bottom of it!

Back to the top
Yes glad I can now enjoy it 👍
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.