Skip navigation

HELP

Back to the top

oil in water but not head

Hi everyone. I have a 1986 golf 1.8 gti cabrio.

I have oil in my water!!

As I am aware the following has been done to solve the problem.

Pressure test = head gasket.

Skimmed the head, changed the water pump, thermostate, head bolts, oil filter, water pump housing.

3 days later there is oil in the water again. The car is back with the mechanic, the head has been tested and checked for cracks and is fine. All other new components are also still fine. What could be causing the oil to get into the water??? Mechanic is stumped.. Any suggestions??

Sarah :ocf_emoticons__BangHead:

Back to the top
Did they flush out the coolant system properly when putting everything back together? I know it sounds dumb but youd be surprised the number of people who dont..

Chris

Volkswagen Golf LS (1981 X)   Austin Morris Mini HL (1981 X)  Honda Civic Type S CTDi (2009 59)   Mercedes-Benz 208D F & D Motorhome (1990 G)  Audi A2 SE (2001 X) Banner

Back to the top
sounds like the water cooled oil cooler has / is failing.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
I would have thought he would have flushed it properly.

The first time round the water was a caramel colour with foam. Afte te work had been done the water churned to an espresso with cream!! The head, water pump, bolts etc are still intact.

And what is the water cooled oil cooler?? sorry i know nothing about cars O_o

Back to the top
The oil cooler sits on top of the oil filter, it has 2 water pipes going into it and the oil filter screw on to it. The water flows around it to cool or heat the oil. Quite a common problem these thing failing.
looks like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK2-MK3-GTI-CORRADO-OIL-COOLER-C306-/200561642242?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb267cb02

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
oil cooler on the Later cars was just above the oil filter, its a silver box with water inlet and outlet, they are prone to leaks after time.

Regards Volkswarren

X2 1983 A REG EW CAMPAIGN In WHITE(Awaiting full rebuild solid body) :thumbs: & T Reg S1 GTi Project, Still Looking for Series 1 GTi's or a 16S Oettinger to restore (Complete Cars only)  or an A reg Lhasa Green or White Gti to restore, also consider  Black, Red or Blue, Also Golf Driver Project Wanted anything considered WHY

Back to the top
as above, unplug the 2 water hoses from it and join them with suitable looped pipe. flush coolant system again and see how you go. if it is cooler, buy one for the next time you change oil, but it wont make much difference when bypassed i never noticed any increase in temps on my mk2 gti.

tip for flushing, drain as much of the water out as you can, undo the rad pipes and the pipes to the side flange and metal pipes. flush all the pipes with a hosepipe, poke it in all the holes and put it on full blast till water comes out clear.

then to get residual oil out pop all hoses back on and fill with plain water and a cup full of bio washing powder. run the engine following normal bleed procedures when water starts to rise/boil refit header tank cap then keep going till fan cuts in. let it cool down, then remove all pipes again and flush with hosepipe. repeat till oil is gone, then refil with 50/50 mix of plain water and antifreeze like normal.

i would suggest running it a week with plain water to ensure oil doesnt return, but its a bit too risky to do that this time of year!

for bleedign what i do is run it cold with header tank cap off, then squeeze all hoses i can lay my hands on. rev it to around 2k every now and again to really get the water flowing. when you rev it watch the thin hose on top of header tank, stream of water and bubbles should spray out. if not the thin hose is blocked or the small nipple on the rad

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
It was the oil cooler after all. But then aparently both hoses went so they had to be changed. Thanks for everyones replies:) they were very helpful. My car is very thankful too. I just hope she keeps running.

P.s I want to buy some replacement hoses and other stuff. Does anyone know a good website to get bits from.

:)

Back to the top
Vw heritage, GSF, Euro car parts and VW themselves.

Banner

Back to the top

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks guys:)

Back to the top
Ok so I've changed a leaking hose and now my temp gauge is flipping back and forth and have a small leak from the left hand side of the radiator. WTH??? 

Back to the top
Clean the sender on the side of the head and ensure good electrical contact

New rad or make sure the clips are tight

Banner
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.