Skip navigation

1991 Clipper Engine Code?

Back to the top

EG?

I read in a post that the engine number is between the 2nd and 3rd spark plug, found it and the prefix is EG, is this the engine code? and if so is this correct for a standard 1800 Carb Clipper on an H plate?  Many Thanks

Back to the top
Not sure EG is right?
I think that's a 1.6 engine.
Info from website.
EG   81   110   1,60   4   06/76-12/83 GOLF
EG   81   110   1,60   4   08/79-02/84 JETTA
EG   81   110   1,60   4   08/76-07/83 SCIROCCO

I found the info here.
http://vag-codes.info/files/engines/vw-engines.pdf

Again on this site a EG is a 1.6 from 1976 - 1983

http://www.clubvw.org.au/vwengines

Hopefully someone with a similar age car and carb can see what engine they have fitted??

What does it say on the log book? If someone has done and engine change they may of not changed the log book?

Just had a look through and I think it would of come out of the factory with an EX engine but not 100% sure.

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
Thanks Mark, will do some invest.

Back to the top
V5 Registration Document has it listed as EX061793 but the code between the 2nd and 3rd spark plug is a definite EG, I will need to clean it up and confirm the rest. Will do that when I replace the water pump and radiator at the weekend. Just realised this post is in the wrong section, apologies!

Back to the top
EG is a MK1 1.6 GTI lump which is earlier type block casting/head. If it is an EG then the front coolant flange would be on the driver side between cylinders 1 & 2.

if its on the passenger side between 3 & 4 then its deffo not an EG as the late heads dont fit early block :)

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top

rubjonny said

EG is a MK1 1.6 GTI lump which is earlier type block casting/head. If it is an EG then the front coolant flange would be on the driver side between cylinders 1 & 2.

if its on the passenger side between 3 & 4 then its deffo not an EG as the late heads dont fit early block :)

The front coolant flange is on the RHS Johnny just after the fuel vapour separator?

Back to the top
Got a picture of the engine?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

Got a picture of the engine?

Standby Mark will get one tomorrow, thanks

Back to the top
the engine number is on the block not the head its on a flat bit below spark plug no 3 WP_20150202_015.jpg
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.