Skip navigation

1984 Cabby Running issues

Back to the top

1984 Cabby Running issues

Good evening, I wonder if anyone can give me some pointers.

My 1800 gti decided not to start a couple of days ago, up until that point it had been running fine.

On closer inspection I found it had no spark and using the good old Haynes manual I did a few tests on the circuits and found the Ignition module was putting out too much voltage, in the manual it's meant to be 2 volts, mine was 8.

I purchased a new module and fitted it and now the car now starts first time on the button, but it won't idle. If i keep my foot on the pedel it runs ok, but as soon as it goes to idle it dies instantly. It doesn't caugh and splutter it dies instantly, the revs just drop to nothing and instant cut out.

I've got new leads and plugs which i'm going to fit tomorrow, but i can't beleive its them.

Any ideas guys?

1980 MK1 3 Door

1983 MK1 5 Door

Too many air cooled's to mention!

Back to the top
sounds liek the idle and co screws might need adjustment. wind out the idle screw a bit first, then see how it is

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
Yes, it does really, but why would this change now i've just fitted another ignition module to hopefully cure a no start issue.
I'm begining to think the new module has caused this issue and maybe it's not compatible with my car.

This is all very starange to me.

1980 MK1 3 Door

1983 MK1 5 Door

Back to the top
if it was setup for a dodgy ign module this could explain it? the fact it revs fine would suggest the module is fine, id expect it to cut out under load more than at idle. does the rev counter read ok?

was it a genuine part, id rather a 2nds hand vw item than a cheapo pattern part. mk2 golf ones fit fine

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)

Back to the top
The car just wouldn't stay running with the new (cheap) ignition module off ebay.

The car is now running ok with new leads, plugs, a coil removed from my MK2 Golf driver and the original module.

I'm going to put all the old stuff on my Mk2 and see if it works, hopefully this will prove there was a fault with one of these components, if not…….. I've no idea.

I let you know if and when it stops working again.

1980 MK1 3 Door

1983 MK1 5 Door

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.