Skip navigation

1982 1600 oil is coming out from all angles

Back to the top

1982 1600 oil is coming out from all angles

Hey dudes

I have just got my hands on a 1982 1600 gti My problems are as follows…

The engine oil seems very thin and needs replacing but it won't drain from the plug I've tried running the engine without the plug in place but still no joy,

Oil also is coming out through the injection system and dripping from the air inlet near the radiator, The air filter was covered in oil!

Also the exhaust is dripping oil this can't be good!

On tick over a slight ammount of smoke comes from the exhaust but when the car is revved up a bit I have huge clouds billowing out much to the joy of my neighbours!

I'm not sure what fuel has been left in the car but I will drain it out and replace asap. What is the best fuel for this car?

Thanks

Back to the top
:lol:

You need to get some very old petrol.

Probably around 1970s stuff if you can.

As my grandfather always used to say, there's no fuel like an old fule

Ali Cabrio

PS - Otherwise take the sump off. Confucius say running engine with no oil is seriously bad idea

Mars Red 1.8 GTi Cabrio 1985
Seat Covers
Scratches
Leaky roof
1 million smiles per hour

Back to the top
Oil coming from air intake means high pressure in engine is blowing it out of the vent on the top of the valve cover, into the airbox and….

Oil dripping out of the exhaust means rings worn to death. Not good.

Clouds of white smoke out the back means head gasket gone

All three means you need a manual and lots of spanners.

Or a new engine.

Is the dipstick covered in mayo?

Ali Cabrio

Mars Red 1.8 GTi Cabrio 1985
Seat Covers
Scratches
Leaky roof
1 million smiles per hour

Back to the top
Hey,

I have drained the old oil was a mixture of oil and water certainley plently of it. Solved the oil from the air intake problem.

I still have smoke and oil from the exhaust though, No mayo on the dipstick was just very thin.

Do you think piston rings and head gasket is the only cause, Would old fuel in the tank cause problems, I know this car had'nt moved for about 4 -5 years before last week!

Back to the top
to be honest, if i were you, i'd look out for another engine. if you have been running the poor thing with water instead of oil, well………

Back to the top
Yeah I think this ones a basket case will get some proffesional advice before she's sold off cheap.

Back to the top
i think its foul to just look out for another engine, unless u have a huge crack through it or it has welded itself to its moving parts, it is always repairable.
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.