Skip navigation

1600 gti running probs

Back to the top

1600 gti running probs

Ok still having issues here! The car will sit and idle all day long cold or hot and will rev happily but as soon as you jump in and drive away you'll get about 50m before the engine looses power, stutters and cuts out.

the engine may start again but barely idles and will cut out if you try to rev it.

give it a few minutes and it'll idle fine again.

i'm totally confused and on the verge of selling up to get a diesel corsa please save me from this fate!

So far i've replaced the injector seals, dizzy cap and rotor arm,
cleaned and checked the plugs  
leaned the mixture (it was way too rich - prob to compensate for the leaking injector seals).

the car has been running well but has always had odd idling problems. It was whilst doing lots of hard driving in very wet weather that the problem first emerged.

Back to the top
sounds a bit like weak spark or fuel pressure/mix.
spark could be coil related.
fuel wise, the mix could be way out or low fuel pressure.
have you checked the plugs and leads? take the plugs out and see what colour they are.

Back to the top
plugs were a bit fouled indicating a rich mix before this was tweaked since cleaning them i've not run the engine long enough for them to be a good indication of whats going on!

i'm more inclined to think fuel prob as the engine runs fine when stationary but not under load.

Back to the top
have u checkd the timing with the dizzy? checkd cambelt timing?
is the vacuum advanced conected on the dizzy?

i always have the last laugh ;)

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f27/sim0n_parker/paulforwebsite.jpg

<a href="

ERROR: A link was posted here (url) but it appears to be a broken link.

Login to a private Photobucket.com album

Back to the top
yep timing and cam timing ok. vacuum pipes attached and ok.

:dontknow:

Back to the top
weak spark can cause this problem. if the car is stationary and out of gear it can be producing 10bhp but still able to rev freely. try pulling the car with that 10bhp and then there are problems. don't write of the idea that it is the coil.
 if the plugs were all black and sooty then it is possible that the mix is far to rich. lean the mix of, remembering how much you have turned. i.e. try 1/2 turn at first and see how it goes. anti clockwise to lean and clockwise to richen. worth turning clockwise till it starts to splutter and then then count the turns anti clockwise till it does the same then turn back clockwise about 1/3 the amount. she should be near enough in the ball park to be driveable.
 worth checking the connections to the 5th injector. in fact start the car, then unplug it. see if that may cure it.

Back to the top
HI...M8 HAVE YOU CHECKED THE COPPER WASHERS ON INJECTION METERING HEAD...JUST SOUND VERY SIMILAR TO PROBLEM I ONCE HAD...HOPE THIS HELPS.. :D
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.