Skip navigation

1600 GTI

Back to the top

1600 GTI

me and my brother are just about to buy a rough golf GTI mk1 to restore, just a quick question… are these actually turbo'd because after a quick inspection under the bonnet i couldnt really see anything.

please help… o, and there may be a few more questions from me in the near future  :lol:

thanks in advance

Glenn

Back to the top
sorry if its a dim question but i know absolutely nothing about these cars

Back to the top
Generally they're not turbo'd - Turbo Technics did do a 1.6 Turbo based on the standard 1.6 GTI engine, but I doubt the one you're looking at is one of these, especially if you can't see any turbo, as they're very rare…

Does the engine look like this?

If so then it's a standard 1.6 GTi

Back to the top
yes it does look like that…  thank you very much for your help :D

Back to the top
No worries - if you buy it let us know and put some pics up ;)

Rich

Back to the top
will do buddy :)

Back to the top
Helpful actually, as apparently i must have a 1.6 GTI instead of a standard 1.6, my engine looks exactly the same - identical..

Back to the top
LOL procalx, are you still guessing what's under your own bonnet!

1980 1600 GTI, daily driver.

Back to the top
Mate i brought it from a car auction - a very lucky find - it cost me ?600 quid! with tax & mot for the year!

I have no idea whats under the bonnet! LOL but i'm convinced its a GTI 1.6 now as i took it down to VW Dealership and had it checked out, all said it was a GTI 1.6, and i know for a fact its been borred out to between 1.8-1.9 as i got in contact with one of the previous owners.. man this thing FliiiiIIIIiies!
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.