Skip navigation

Golf Clipper (1991) 1.8 carburettor won't start

Back to the top

Golf Clipper (1991) 1.8 carburettor won't start

Hi all,

I have an Mk1 Golf Clipper (1991) 1.8 carburettor Manual. I recently ran out of fuel. I added a can of petrol and the car started after one or two attempts. I drove the car for about half a mile and it lost power and cut out.
I added another can of petrol thinking it was a fuel problem. The car has never started since.

I have tried the following:

?   Checked the fuel tank and lines for blockages
?   Changed the fuel filter (inline)
?   Tested to see if the fuel pump is pumping petrol to the carburettor, which it is.
?   Removed carburettor and cleaned the jets.
?   Checked the spark plugs are sparking
?   Changed the dizzy cap.
?   This car has a new ignition coil, battery, leads and plugs.
?   The car is trying to turn over.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Chris

Back to the top
If you have sparks, have you tried removing the air filter housing and squirting a dose of Bradex "Easystart" (Halfords) or "Startyabastard" down the carb intake orifice??

General News

Traceycab's new Weber DMTL carb needed quite a few squirts to get it turning over fast enough to prime the fuel lines (I did notice you said the pump was pumping!) …its been no trouble since!

If it doesn't at least fire then maybe your timing has slipped (improbable)

Mk1 GTI
B5 Passat Estate 5 SPeed
Riley 1071"S" Elf Mk2  (Bl**dy Hooligan machine!)
Bosch Lawnraker 32

Back to the top
may have sucked up a load of crud from the tank. get both the fuel lines blasted thru with an airline and put a new filter on there. check all the rubber lines in the bay for vblovkages also, id hope the filter caught it all though.

also pop out the fuel level sensor, iirc on the carbies the fuel lines run to this, could be the filter on the base of it is clogged up

Hello my name is John and I'm a dub addict.

My wiring diagrams and other documents have moved here:

VAG Documents & Downloads

You'll need to sign into google/gmail for the link to work! (its free!)
0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.