Skip navigation

Engine goes below 1000 rpm

Back to the top
Hey Guys

I've noticed sometimes my car when stationary or driving it goes below 1000 rpm and it feels like the engine is panting.

In the past when it did this, my fuel pump just decided to die on me - this has since been replaced.

The other times it may go below 1000 rpm, if the car has half a tank of petrol and the car is parked at a slant. (so the right side is high on the pavement whilst the left side is on the road.

It's a strange one, would be good to know if anyone else has suffered this strange experience and may have few pointers.

Many thanks in advance

Back to the top
What's your fuel filter like, any bit's in it and when did you last replace it?

Could be dirt/rust blocking the fuel pick up inside the fuel tank, remove the sender and have a good look inside the fuel tank.

Is your fuel filler neck in good nick and no rusty holes starting to appear?

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top

mark1gls said

What's your fuel filter like, any bit's in it and when did you last replace it?

Could be dirt/rust blocking the fuel pick up inside the fuel tank, remove the sender and have a good look inside the fuel tank.

Is your fuel filler neck in good nick and no rusty holes starting to appear?

The fuel filler neck was only changed over a year, same with the fuel filter.

I do need to service the car :(

Last edit: by optimusdub

Back to the top
What car do you have?
Have you looked at the fuel pick up in the tank, the fuel is sucked out on the drivers side of the tank so could be the pick up is to short?

These plastic fuel filters should be changed at least every year.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MK1-GOLF-CABRIO-Fuel-Filter-carburettor-engines-universal-251201511G-/181847140257?hash=item2a56ef27a1:g:QiwAAOSw0JpV3aYF

1988 Mk1 Golf GTi Cabriolet 1.8cc DX, K-jet. Daily drive. 317,000 miles and counting
1978 Mk1 Scirocco GLS 1.6cc FR, Webber carb. Weekend toy.

Back to the top
I like an idle tick over of about 850/900 rpm.

Your rough idle could be all sorts of things.  worn distributor, fouled plugs, bad leads, distributor cap points fouled, fouled rotor.  poor fuel delivery by carb.

if it slightly misses and rpms rove at idle it will be doing it at all rpms, it just harder to notice once your driving/ at higher rpms.

0 guests and 0 members have just viewed this: None.